Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help me figure out what I need for my car enthusiast festival! >

Help me figure out what I need for my car enthusiast festival!

Help me figure out what I need for my car enthusiast festival!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help me figure out what I need for my car enthusiast festival!

Long story short:
I'm a car enthusiast event organizer. I need some RC cars as an activity for people who will be at the event to participate in. I know next to nothing about RC cars and need help getting everything I need. If you think you might be able to help please read the long version

Long story long:
I do marketing and logistics for a company called SubieEvents (subieevents.com). We will be putting on 5 of the largest Subaru enthusiast festivals in the US this year and we are currently trying to get some more activities for the attendees to participate in. One of the things we'd like to do is get some decent RC cars and build a small track that people can mess around and have some fun on. The problem is, while I know a good bit about cars, I don't know much of anything about RC cars. I've started researching what to get and compiling a list but I need some input and advice from some people who actually know what they're doing before I finalize the list.

What I need:

-3 RC cars. Probably going with 1/10 scale and bodies MUST be Subarus.
-3 controllers. I assume at least 3 channel because we will have 3 cars.
-3 steering servos. Definitely need help with making sure I get ones that will work. Someone already told me he thinks the ones I have picked out might not work.
-9 batteries. 3 for each car because these will be getting used for a good part of the day.
-6 battery chargers. So we can be charging all of the batteries that aren't currently in use.

What's on my current list: (Unfortunately the forum won't let me post links yet)

RC Cars:
3 different Tamiya 1/10 Subarus (part # TAMC5831, 58538, 58439)

Controllers:
3PRKA 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System w/R203GF Receiver by Futaba (part # FUTK3100)

Batteries:
Traxxas NiMH 6-Cell 7.2V 1800mAh Stick Std (part # 2919)

Chargers:
12V 300mA Charger for 6.0V - 9.6V NiMH and NiCD Batteries with Standard Tamiya Connector (Charger Side) (part # 01009)

Steering servos:
SV-0220MG Standard Digital Metal Gear Servo (High Voltage) by Savox (part # SAV-SV-0220MG)

Any advice on whether all this will work or not or suggestions for better options would be much appreciated. Also I'm working with a budget of $1000-1300 for everything and of course would like to be on the lower end if possible.

I know that was a long read and thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrycHouse32
Long story short:
I'm a car enthusiast event organizer. I need some RC cars as an activity for people who will be at the event to participate in. I know next to nothing about RC cars and need help getting everything I need. If you think you might be able to help please read the long version

Long story long:
I do marketing and logistics for a company called SubieEvents (subieevents.com). We will be putting on 5 of the largest Subaru enthusiast festivals in the US this year and we are currently trying to get some more activities for the attendees to participate in. One of the things we'd like to do is get some decent RC cars and build a small track that people can mess around and have some fun on. The problem is, while I know a good bit about cars, I don't know much of anything about RC cars. I've started researching what to get and compiling a list but I need some input and advice from some people who actually know what they're doing before I finalize the list.

What I need:

-3 RC cars. Probably going with 1/10 scale and bodies MUST be Subarus.
-3 controllers. I assume at least 3 channel because we will have 3 cars.
-3 steering servos. Definitely need help with making sure I get ones that will work. Someone already told me he thinks the ones I have picked out might not work.
-9 batteries. 3 for each car because these will be getting used for a good part of the day.
-6 battery chargers. So we can be charging all of the batteries that aren't currently in use.

What's on my current list: (Unfortunately the forum won't let me post links yet)

RC Cars:
3 different Tamiya 1/10 Subarus (part # TAMC5831, 58538, 58439)

Controllers:
3PRKA 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System w/R203GF Receiver by Futaba (part # FUTK3100)

Batteries:
Traxxas NiMH 6-Cell 7.2V 1800mAh Stick Std (part # 2919)

Chargers:
12V 300mA Charger for 6.0V - 9.6V NiMH and NiCD Batteries with Standard Tamiya Connector (Charger Side) (part # 01009)

Steering servos:
SV-0220MG Standard Digital Metal Gear Servo (High Voltage) by Savox (part # SAV-SV-0220MG)

Any advice on whether all this will work or not or suggestions for better options would be much appreciated. Also I'm working with a budget of $1000-1300 for everything and of course would like to be on the lower end if possible.

I know that was a long read and thanks in advance!
Your radios are a good choice and those servos will work fine but the radios will all be 2.4ghz these days, you don't need a 3 channel radio because you have three cars. Most radios just happen to have 3ch capability meaning you could run steering, throttle and then use the 3rd channel to the car for a light switch or something similar.

Make sure all three of those Tamiya parts#'s are the ones that come with motor/esc.

An 1800mah pack isn't going to run very long. For what you are doing, NIMH will be fine but consider spending a few bucks more on each pack; look for at least a 3000mah pack. That will get you at least 10 mins of runtime per charge so with six packs, you could run the cars for 20 mins out of every 30 - motors and ESC's need to cool anyway.

You will need to up your charging capability - those little wall chargers take hours per pack. You need one that charges in amps, not mlliamps. This is where your budget will take a hit because your choice as a bare-minimum will be something like this.

Your other issue will be replacement parts or even a spare rtr car to drop in. Even though those will be relatively slow, noobs+"rental cars" is going to equal some broken parts and you don't want to be down to one car two hours into the event. Otherwise, it sounds like it should be a fun addition to your events though
Old 04-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

get someone who knows what they are doing to paint and decal the bodies. I don't want to imply that you aren't up to the job, but painting and decal ing bodies to look like the tamiya box art is an art in and of itself.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MarkA
Thanks for the advice. So basically what you're saying is get better batteries, get better chargers, get spares if possible? I'm probably ordering the kits off of ebay and it appears they do come with motors.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BrycHouse32
So basically what you're saying is get better batteries, get better chargers, get spares if possible?
Basically, yes. The better chargers will be a necessity even if you stayed with the low capacity batteries, anything else fit it into your budget where possible.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

another options would be to get fewer chargers with higher charge rates. Many modern lipos can be charged at quite high amperage rates, and they offer better battery life and power over the discharge cycle.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Tamiya makes some models of some REAL cars....

Old 04-27-2017, 06:24 AM
Tech Rookie

I know. I'll be getting some Subarus since it's a Subaru enthusiast festival. I just wasn't able to share any links. I'm too much of a rookie for the forum to allow it I guess.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

New question as collecting all the parts needed for the kits a originally wanted seems like there's too much to go wrong.

I'm now thinking about getting MST XXX Rally models (#531402, #531401) And sorry I can't share links yet.

They're supposed to be fully ready to go other than needed a battery. My only questions is what type of connector do they use? I can't seem to find that listed anywhere...
Old 05-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

Assuming this picture of an MST brushed ESC is correct, that is what is commonly known as a "Dean's plug." You can buy batteries easily with that pre-installed such as this one.

The only other thing I would add about the MST cars is they are highly regarded in the (small) RC drift world but I don't know if there is a store in America that carries replacement parts readily. In that community, self-importing parts from Asia screams "authenticity" but for you it might equal, "inconvenient." If you do go that route, this store is one you should bookmark for starters. The Tamiya cars are on a commonly shared platform - if you don't have a place local to you with parts for it on the shelf, they should be able to get them for you pretty quickly or you can order them yourself just as easily.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input MarkA.
I actually like the Tamiya ones better I think but this isn't for personal use and there's just too much set up and too many variables for me to worry about right now.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

To expand, I would wait until the cars arrive and confirm the battery plug is what I think it is before ordering a big batch of packs - with any/everything sourced from Asia, but especially RTR's, "product subject to change" are words to live by.