Search

SC10 RTR 2wd issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM
Bb2
Tech Rookie

Default SC10 RTR 2wd issues

Hi

Bought this for my kids and I to bash. Learning this isn't a great basher so far. Snapped chassis 2x out. Fixed with braces, etc.

Question is were ran with light snow on ground and it died. First it would only go very slow, now won't even move. When I took off body chassis and components full of snow. Dried it out....

Questions-
-Best way to test esc? Light blinks once for nimh, long blink after that, but no sound/beep. Light turns red when pulling trigger but no motion. Not sure if damaged.

- disconnected motor and tried to connect directly to battery and nothing. Dead motor?

-should this happen? I thought this was water proof or too much water on components?

-if motor or esc is shot, recommended replacement parts using my nimh batteries? Think I want to go to brushless for low/no maintenance. No soldering preferably so using same connectors, etc.

I have a multimeter and wasn't sure what to look for on the esc and motor to check.

Thx!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure the stuff is waterproof?? Sounds like you should just cut your loses and get a traxxas if you want to bash and run in the elements.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Bb2
Tech Rookie

Sorry, said water resistant...

Anyway already got a bunch invested in this so any thoughts on a moderately priced esc and brushless motor for this?

How about how to use a multimeter to test esc, battery and motor?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bb2
Anyway already got a bunch invested in this so any thoughts on a moderately priced esc and brushless motor for this?
This HW ESC and motor will be faster than you'd ever need and more should be more reliable. Just be aware you will probably need to get a smaller pinion gear to ensure it works correctly.

As far as your existing system, is it brushed or brushless? If it's brushed, I honestly wouldn't worry about it and just take it as a sign it's time to move on.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Bb2
Tech Rookie

It was brushed and wanted to go brushless, just not that soon

This looks like great options. I see the ESC is waterproof, I didn't see the brushless motor listed as WP. Are brushless usually WP by their nature? Sorry, newbie...

Also, any input on how to use multimeter to test these components?

Appreciate the advice.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bb2
It was brushed and wanted to go brushless, just not that soon

This looks like great options. I see the ESC is waterproof, I didn't see the brushless motor listed as WP. Are brushless usually WP by their nature? Sorry, newbie...

Also, any input on how to use multimeter to test these components?

Appreciate the advice.
You should be able to test a brushed ESC by putting it across the motor output leads and seeing if anything happens when you pull the throttle. Even if the motor doesn't turn, you should see voltage going to it. If you have voltage there, the issue is probably the motor, if you don't, it's probably the ESC. Does the steering still work?

Sensorless brushless motors are generally to some degree water resistant, sensored ones are not. "Waterproof" is a horribly overused term in the RC industry.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Bb2
Tech Rookie

Steering still works. Just doesn't beep when you turn it on...

Will try what you said with voltmeter.

What brand esc/motor would you suggest? Hoping to stay in the $50-$60 range for each and still use the nimh batteries we have.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

The abbreviation "HW" I used above is our shorthand for HobbyWing - probably the best value brand you will find today. Most modern ESC's will still run on NiMH batteries, you just need to turn the lipo cut-off, off.

Since the steering works, that means the ESC is putting out voltage to the receiver - a good sign. Would be leaning towards dead motor - it just happens with brushed ones.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Bb2
Tech Rookie

Got it. Thanks!