Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
HSP Short Course Questions!(motor upgrade ect) >

HSP Short Course Questions!(motor upgrade ect)

HSP Short Course Questions!(motor upgrade ect)

Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HSP Short Course Questions!(motor upgrade ect)

Hello, I am brand new to the hobby and recently was gifted an HSP short course 4x4 1/10 scale truck and am loving it! But I have several questions that someone may help me with as far as setting up the truck or upgrading. I will list the specs below:

RC: HSP Destrier EP Pro 94170 (2016)
Drive: 4x4
Motor: 3300kv B3650 7.2v 3.3a(unloading) 13MΩ
ESC: WP-10BL50-RTR 50a/300a .001Ω motor limit on road <=8t, off<=11t
Gearing: Ratio-1/7.195 Diff. Main=64t motor(pinion)=26t
tire size: 15502(model number)Dimensions of tire are about 9.2cm x 4 cm
Battery: 2s 3500mah 30c(bought two additional 5200mah batteries 2s)

So to get to the meat of the my question, Would I be able to get away with just upgrading my motor to achieve a speed roughly 45mph?
Everything stock, I was able to get a gps speed of around 33-36 mph and am just looking to get a little extra speed. I plan to get new gears to change the gearing but also thought about a higher kv motor, just not sure if i would have to change anythng else. Any help and any 2 cents is reatly appreciated and if you have questions about the rc, feel free to ask!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jcbdnny
Hello, I am brand new to the hobby and recently was gifted an HSP short course 4x4 1/10 scale truck and am loving it! But I have several questions that someone may help me with as far as setting up the truck or upgrading. I will list the specs below:

RC: HSP Destrier EP Pro 94170 (2016)
Drive: 4x4
Motor: 3300kv B3650 7.2v 3.3a(unloading) 13MΩ
ESC: WP-10BL50-RTR 50a/300a .001Ω motor limit on road <=8t, off<=11t
Gearing: Ratio-1/7.195 Diff. Main=64t motor(pinion)=26t
tire size: 15502(model number)Dimensions of tire are about 9.2cm x 4 cm
Battery: 2s 3500mah 30c(bought two additional 5200mah batteries 2s)

So to get to the meat of the my question, Would I be able to get away with just upgrading my motor to achieve a speed roughly 45mph?
Everything stock, I was able to get a gps speed of around 33-36 mph and am just looking to get a little extra speed. I plan to get new gears to change the gearing but also thought about a higher kv motor, just not sure if i would have to change anythng else. Any help and any 2 cents is reatly appreciated and if you have questions about the rc, feel free to ask!
Based on your ESC's specs I don't think you'd be able to put in a faster motor. An 11t motor (esc max) is pretty much right around 3300kv already. So the only way to get more speed is by going with a larger pinion or smaller spur gear. Or getting new electronics
Old 01-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by EbbTide
Based on your ESC's specs I don't think you'd be able to put in a faster motor. An 11t motor (esc max) is pretty much right around 3300kv already. So the only way to get more speed is by going with a larger pinion or smaller spur gear. Or getting new electronics
I had a feeling that is what i might have to do, but I know next to nothing as far as experience goes with this stuff. The speed and feel of the rc is pretty nice, but who doesn't wanna go faster?: lol:
thanks for the input !
Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jcbdnny
I had a feeling that is what i might have to do, but I know next to nothing as far as experience goes with this stuff. The speed and feel of the rc is pretty nice, but who doesn't wanna go faster?: lol:
thanks for the input !
Lol no sweat man. I went through that when I first started. I had the need for speed and I put quite a few bucks into getting my 2wd short course to hit 60mph. And then I found a local track to race at and started focusing more on the setup and less on speed runs. But it's still fun to see them flying down an empty street lol