Wiki Posts
Search

new to electric need help with batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default new to electric need help with batteries

i've done nitro for about 5 years now and i wanted to try electric so i bought a bk2 buggie.i have a few questions regarding batteries.i just bought some gp3300's and would like to keep them at their best fo as long as i can.
my 1st question is about storage.should i drain them all the way when i go to store them?sometimes they may go a month between use.or should i drain them then add a little charge?if i store them with a charge,how much?
2nd question,lets say i'm a the track for the day and i just ran a pack,should i drain it completely before i charge it again,or just leave what little juice it has left and start charging?
i have a duratrax deluxe pulse charger(i know its not a great charger,but right now i don't want to spend $300 when this is a part time hobby).how many amps should i use to charge?its adjustable from 0.5-6.5 amps.and on discharge should i use 2amp or 10amp?

thanks in advance for the help,Jon
Old 01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1.If storing batteries for more than a week u should put 700mah back into the pack.
2.You don't need to discharge a pack fully at the track before recharging the pack but make sure it has cooled completly before u recharge it.
3.u should charge at 5 or 6 amps and discharge at 10amps.

Hope this helps

Cheers Superkarter
Old 01-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

thanks for the info Superkarter
Old 01-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If you want some really good info on Batteries go to Axxis.com.Their is no better web info than this.If your new to electrics I would highly recommend this site.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Nice to see that you've turned to the dark side.
Originally Posted by xxxkat
If you want some really good info on Batteries go to Axxis.com.Their is no better web info than this.If your new to electrics I would highly recommend this site.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KENZO
Nice to see that you've turned to the dark side.
I would not say the dark side.. It's just some really informative information.I should ask them what they (Axxis) thinks about the New Trinity and Spintech dischargers.I do agree with high amp discharge "Is Bad" for your packs.I have been racing for a real long time and as our hobby evolves new information becomes available and if you want to save your self some money(new packs do cost a lot of $$$)It's best to get all the information you can.One of the things that impressed me was they do back up their ideas with facts..not fiction.I am going to carry their products at my track.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Kenzo you should have the link to where your star trek saying is........make it easier for people to click right to the site..........just a thought. Since it seems everyone will be running those batts now! You da man.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Hey, that's nice to hear. I'm a rookie more or less, but my brother and friends have been doing r/c for a long time, so I have lots of help. They like fusion and promatch and I was looking for an alternative battery and really got lucky that I found Axxis. They really do peak my interest.
Originally Posted by xxxkat
I would not say the dark side.. It's just some really informative information.I should ask them what they (Axxis) thinks about the New Trinity and Spintech dischargers.I do agree with high amp discharge "Is Bad" for your packs.I have been racing for a real long time and as our hobby evolves new information becomes available and if you want to save your self some money(new packs do cost a lot of $$$)It's best to get all the information you can.One of the things that impressed me was they do back up their ideas with facts..not fiction.I am going to carry their products at my track.

Last edited by KENZO; 01-16-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KENZO
.....They like fusion and promatch and I was looking for an alternative battery and really got lucky that I found Axxis. They really do peak my interest.

They peek mine too!!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1st when you are going to store them I would put them on an equalizing tray that can take them to .9v per cell (Novak Smart Tray is a good one) then put 700mah back into them. If you will store them for a while you may want to bring them out every two weeks or so and cycle them.

2nd before I charge a pack I make sure it is equalized. Again as with the first example you should use a tray to ensure all cells are discharged equally before putting juice back into them.

3rd charge at 6amps, discharge at 10amps (ideally you would want to discharge at 20amps to 30amps).

Originally Posted by jonnyc
i've done nitro for about 5 years now and i wanted to try electric so i bought a bk2 buggie.i have a few questions regarding batteries.i just bought some gp3300's and would like to keep them at their best fo as long as i can.
my 1st question is about storage.should i drain them all the way when i go to store them?sometimes they may go a month between use.or should i drain them then add a little charge?if i store them with a charge,how much?
2nd question,lets say i'm a the track for the day and i just ran a pack,should i drain it completely before i charge it again,or just leave what little juice it has left and start charging?
i have a duratrax deluxe pulse charger(i know its not a great charger,but right now i don't want to spend $300 when this is a part time hobby).how many amps should i use to charge?its adjustable from 0.5-6.5 amps.and on discharge should i use 2amp or 10amp?

thanks in advance for the help,Jon