Search
Like Tree4Likes

Cleaning after use

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Cleaning after use

I need some advice on how to clean an offrod RC truck or buggy after use. I currentky have a 1/10 SCT and it is supposedly waterproof. I ran it when our track was muddy and of cousre the truck got a lot of mud inside and out. I hosed it down but I do think that screwed up the ESC. I have a new ESC now that is also supposed to be WP but I don't think I trust that anymore.

I have a 1/8 buggy on the way and it does not have WP electronics.

Even when our track is dry, the track is surrounded by dry grass so every nook and cranny under the body gets packed with "straw".

So how the heck do you clean these things if they are not water proof or don't want to subject them to water hosing?

I have searched quite a bit and it does that people do hose the trucks down. That clearly won't work with high end, non WP electronics.

Seems pretty basic but I don't see and good methods for non-WP trucks.

Even once it is clean, do you have to spray lube on the inside parts? Other than a tear-down, what else does one do after you get it clean?
Old 12-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

An air compressor is your best friend. I usually coat my car with simple green on the arms, shock towers etc. and let it soak for a minute. Then I hit it with a compressor. Do not spray your esc with water or simple green etc. I do not care if someone says the esc is waterproof. This goes for your receiver and motor as well. You can take a tooth brush and brush away the dirt in small places. Personally I do not go crazy about cleaning every spec of dirt because after one lap it will be dirty again. If you do not have access to an air compressor start with a toothbrush and go to the dollar store and you will find a scrub brush that can also be somewhat helpful. Think what size will suit your car best. FYI you can also use dish a mixture of dish soap if u have nothing else, but be careful on the bearings....
Old 12-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've used hose before on few vehicles. Even on waterproof electronics, it's best it to spray directly. Air compressor works great for drying. Though I know more then a few that have borrowed wife's blow dryer. If really wet I'll leave a fan to finish drying.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I spray mine off with the shop air compressor. I then give a light mist of wd-40 over everything and air blow it off again. The wd makes all the plastic look brand new and keeps everything from rusting.
ddd228 likes this.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I will just use an air compressor and lubricate all the moving parts. Also, taking a brush will help too.

I won't fully tear down my kit, but I will tear apart areas where the air compressor wont get. IE; the arm joints, etc...
Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Simple Green and a scrub or toothbrush. After that a generous coat of furniture polish. Use an air compressor to blow off the excess, no compressor? Just leave it and the polish will evaporate. The car will look brand new.

Last edited by buster8787; 12-14-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rhodesengr
I hosed it down but I do think that screwed up the ESC.
You didn't have the battery still connected in there?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mushroomed
You didn't have the battery still connected in there?
yikes no. Like I said, I am new to RC trucks but not new to RC.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I second the compressor and WD40 method. I'm just careful around my electronics. Leaves the truck clean and well lubricated.
ddd228 likes this.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kreg67
I second the compressor and WD40 method. I'm just careful around my electronics. Leaves the truck clean and well lubricated.
Try Pledge, leaves your truck smelling lemony fresh :-)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default update and Thanks

I have been using everyone's ideas. I now have a nice little Makita compressor and air nozzle. I have ben trying various cleaning sprays suggested: simple green, silicone spray, WD40, and even some "official" Protek stuff. They all work more or less and I don't have a clear favorite yet.

Feel free to keep discussing.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

I have been using bike cleaner, you can get it right from walmart, works very well.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Use the cheapest cleaner and be careful with electronics. Once cleaned I sometimes spray with silicon spray...bearings etc...
Old 01-13-2017, 03:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kreg67
Just dont spray the WD40 on any rubber items i.e. shock boots, CVD Protectors etc. Even some bearings have rubber seals. WD40 attacks and weakens rubber.
ddd228 likes this.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by buster8787
Simple Green and a scrub or toothbrush. After that a generous coat of furniture polish. Use an air compressor to blow off the excess, no compressor? Just leave it and the polish will evaporate. The car will look brand new.
Since when did you start cleaning your vehicles? I've never seen this before!
HappyGene likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.