Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Serveral 1/10 2wd buggy questions >

Serveral 1/10 2wd buggy questions

Serveral 1/10 2wd buggy questions

Old 11-09-2016, 12:41 AM
ylc
Tech Rookie

Default Serveral 1/10 2wd buggy questions

Hi, I just get into this hobby and have some issues.
1. I found myself drive better when I set the steering return speed to 70%. (I'm using Sanwa ERS-971 servo.) Is it a bad thing to do so? Will this kind of modification to your steering control not improve your driving skill?
2. I ran a 13.5T with XeRun XR10 Justock and I'm happy with the combo. If I want to get a stronger motor, say 7.5T, would I need to upgrade my ESC? Or if I stick to the original ESC, how powerful the motor can I run with it? I'm running on a carpet short course.
3. What to check before and after running on the track?
Old 11-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

1) Generally, anything that destroys the linearity of the steering is a band-aid on your driving. Are you, by chance, letting go of the wheel when you exit a corner? If you are, stop that turn the wheel back to center by yourself. If you are not, just try to slow it down on your own.
2) That ESC is limited to a 11.5 motor. Stay with the 13.5 until it is power and power alone limiting your results on the track; a 7.5 is exponentially more powerful and much harder to drive. Few people move from a stock-ish motor to an all-out mod and actually improve their laptimes immediately.
3) Check screw tightness throughout the car frequently but avoid over tightening. On carpet racing, check for blown-out bearings more often than you might otherwise. I also like to inspect my sensor cable regularly for damage as they go bad more often than you'd think and ruin a race in a hurry.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

1) just keep practicing getting adjusted to the car is normal and might be why you need it turn it down to 70% just turn it up little but little as you use to the car.

2) I made that mistake haha I was running stock 17.5 motor and in my head thought I was ready for speed got 7.5 I couldn't even make it around the track lol keep practicing where your at.

3) screws not lose, tires not lose, double check motor gears and diff aren't to tight or to lose
Old 11-10-2016, 12:27 AM
ylc
Tech Rookie

Thank you guys.
I also want to know what fdr should I use. My current setup is pinion/spur = 22/80 and my buggy is Yokomo YZ-2 CA so the fdr is (80/22)*2.6 = 9.45. Am I right? Is it too slow for a 13.5T?
Old 11-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

On the YZ-2 (that's what I race) and depending on track size and motor timing/etc., a 13.5 should be geared in the 72/26-30 range.

80/22 is what I run on a 6.5 on carpet/turf so yeah, you are way, way, way undergeared.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ylc
Hi, I just get into this hobby and have some issues.
1. I found myself drive better when I set the steering return speed to 70%. (I'm using Sanwa ERS-971 servo.) Is it a bad thing to do so? Will this kind of modification to your steering control not improve your driving skill?
I guess my thing is this, if you find that you drive better taking advantage of the features your electronics have, I would continue with it within reason. I look at it like me telling you that having any bit of punch control on your esc or loosening the slipper with intefere with you learning proper throttle control. I rather enjoy the car than fight it.

That said, I run negative expo on my steering channel of about 10 to 20 degrees as I find the servos I use are a bit too responsive on the lower steering inputs than I am comfortable with which improves my lap times.

From there, I would say play with going back to say 80 for a setting and practice with that and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by ylc
2. I ran a 13.5T with XeRun XR10 Justock and I'm happy with the combo. If I want to get a stronger motor, say 7.5T, would I need to upgrade my ESC? Or if I stick to the original ESC, how powerful the motor can I run with it? I'm running on a carpet short course.
Your esc states that its rated for 11.5T and higher motors for offroad but oddly 8.5T for onroad (which i am assuming includes 4wd touring cars).

Personally I wouldn't push it past what they recommend in a short course truck. in a ligher 1/10 2wd buggy I could be open to say a 10.5T.

That said, when you say a stronger motor, what about the motor do you feel is weak? Is it torque, not fast enough, etc? Not all motors are equal, and not all batteries and battery chargers are all equal either

For more punch things like a rotor swap (depending on what your motor is and what is in it) could help.

Best thing is first fully control your vehicle, be very consistent with your lines, etc. and then you can see what power options you can handle. Plan to alter your setup too as with more power stuff that was setup fine for a slower motor can have issues with a more powerful one.

Out here, 8.5T motors are pretty common in 2wd SCT.

For ESCs if you change and you don't mind used, the older hobbywing V2.1s can be had really cheap and are super powerful.

Originally Posted by ylc
3. What to check before and after running on the track?
Before running make sure:

- Electronics all power on and work including your transponder
- Wheels are properly secured on the vehicle
- Motor pinion spur mesh is correct and secured properly
- Chassis screws that could back out and affect something are secure
- Vehicle tracks properly down even straight (no weird pulling to one side)

After a run:

- Temp of electronics
- Condition of lipos (swelling, balance between individual cells)
- Condition of spur gear and pinion

Those in general are some of the minimum I look for. Seen too many wheels going rolling down the straight not to check that one for sure (loctite is your friend even with locking wheel nuts).
Old 11-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

I race with Cain and his advice is good, but what I tend to see and the way I run it is a little different, most people are looking for that perfect setup and if you learn the vehicle that your driving, you are better off, I run a slow steering servo in my buggy as to me I am working on being smooth, when I find that the motor is just not cutting it, I would look for something a little bit faster, not huge, but enough to question if its faster or not, check your lap times, not the super fast lap, but that 10 or 20 lap average, when they stay the same and only change by a half second, then your looking for more speed, buy a cheap temp gun, and temp everything, motor, esc, tires, slipper clutch, batteries, yea you see it, everything then work on keeping it off the tubes
but you noticed that I have said nothing about vehicle maintenance, look it over check the bottom for screws loose, or missing, check the wheel nuts to make sure they are snug, after that, go out and have some fun