Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
buying tires and wheels online >

buying tires and wheels online

buying tires and wheels online

Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default buying tires and wheels online

Anyone have any good tips for buying tires and wheels online or off ebay ??? Sites that u buy from ???? How can u make sure tha tires and wheels ur buying will work and are tha right size(not wide enough or to tall) ????
Old 09-29-2016, 07:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The biggest thing is to make sure that they are the correct scale (1/8th, 1/10th, etc). This is basically the tire "size" in terms of height and width.

Second, make sure the wheels match your car. If you have stock parts that is easy to match. What kind of car do you have? You can probably just look in your manual and get the part# for the exact replacement from there.

Third, make sure the front and back are the same size. 2WD buggies for example use thinner wheels in the front.

For the actual tires I would suggest asking the folks at you track what they suggest for the type/compound. The right tire can make a very large difference. They can probably also lead you to a good, local hobby shop where you can buy everything you need.

Finally, when you go to buy tire glue make sure it comes with the little tip for the bottle. This makes it a LOT easier to do a good clean job.

Here's a good video on how to glue tires...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AseHzskElek

As for sites to buy, I would suggest sticking to a true hobby store/site before venturing on eBay. Once you know what you need and have ordered a few set then you know what is and is not a good deal when shopping eBay.

Make sense? Got any questions?
Old 09-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CrawJac
The biggest thing is to make sure that they are the correct scale (1/8th, 1/10th, etc). This is basically the tire "size" in terms of height and width.

Second, make sure the wheels match your car. If you have stock parts that is easy to match. What kind of car do you have? You can probably just look in your manual and get the part# for the exact replacement from there.

Third, make sure the front and back are the same size. 2WD buggies for example use thinner wheels in the front.

For the actual tires I would suggest asking the folks at you track what they suggest for the type/compound. The right tire can make a very large difference. They can probably also lead you to a good, local hobby shop where you can buy everything you need.

Finally, when you go to buy tire glue make sure it comes with the little tip for the bottle. This makes it a LOT easier to do a good clean job.

Here's a good video on how to glue tires...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AseHzskElek

As for sites to buy, I would suggest sticking to a true hobby store/site before venturing on eBay. Once you know what you need and have ordered a few set then you know what is and is not a good deal when shopping eBay.

Make sense? Got any questions?
Great post and would definitely agree to avoid or at least be very judicious when buying tires on ebay. You'll probably find them for less on Stormer/Amain/etc. anyway.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default to glue urself or buy pre mounted????

Thanks for tha good feed back and info ....what are ur throughs and feelings about pre mount tires ??? Better ??? Cheaper ??? Tires like everything(motors,esc,batteries lol) seems so confusing in this hobby with so many different reviews ...
Old 09-30-2016, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaliBayWolf
Thanks for tha good feed back and info ....what are ur throughs and feelings about pre mount tires ??? Better ??? Cheaper ??? Tires like everything(motors,esc,batteries lol) seems so confusing in this hobby with so many different reviews ...
Like anything on the internet, you have to take reviews with a grain of salt. Premounted is just easier since you won't need to glue. It sounds like you'll be bashing so I think remounted is the way to go.

What are you driving?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by shagino
Like anything on the internet, you have to take reviews with a grain of salt. Premounted is just easier since you won't need to glue. It sounds like you'll be bashing so I think remounted is the way to go.

What are you driving?
My main RC is a ofna hyper 10tt(12mm hex but I have a 17mm conversion kit I haven't put on yet) ...I also have a traxxas Jato that I need to finish converting into electric also thinking if I should go tha 17mm hex on it..Just pick up a used traxxas summit that needs alot work 17mm hexs on it already....
Old 10-15-2016, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If racing, talk to the local track guys to pinpoint which tire/compound works for your surface. While I always advocate spending money at your track/lhs, good bulk deals can often be had on sites like Tower - esp when coupled with discount coupons.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wish there was a cheaper way to buy tires.. even online they are ridiculous! The best deal I've found is unfortunately buying 1 race used tires from the local track. You can sometimes find good deals on jconcepts sales, or some lucky eBay auctions... But nothing reliable.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Go to your favorite manufacturer's site and scour the clearance section. I know AKA and JConcepts both have it.

Or buy from Tower or Stormer where you get real discount coupons. AMain can't match their prices in my experience.