Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Is this Car good... >

Is this Car good...

Is this Car good...

Old 12-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Is this Car good...

How about the OFNA 9.5 RTR??

Can anyone give me advice on whether this would be a good car or not? Looking for mostly bashin taking it to a public track for fun etc

What kind of speeds can I expect from this one? Durability?

There's a guy I know that is selling one that is used but good (scraped bottom etc) for about $220.

It looks like tower hobby has it listed at $439

Thanks
Old 12-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, I think it's good. In fact, there's even a truggy version for that, Blazer SST. And yeah Ofna buggies wouldn't let you down. Most people say that they build most of their buggies like tanks. So you might get an idea. As for the speed, well i think most nitro 1/8 buggies are fast, but it also depends on its type of engine used.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I have owned a couple of Ofna buggies and have found them to be good. I prefer my Mugen MBX5 for racing though. Ofna makes many different types of 1/8 scale buggies. You should be able to find one in your price range. I prefer a buggy that has a "pillow ball" front suspension. For backyard bashing the "c-hub carrier" type front suspension should be okay. I recommend going with a brand new car kit if you can afford it. Over the years I have bought several used cars and rollers. With most of them I find that I need to repair or replace more parts than I had originally figured on. With a new car and engine you know what you have, and you can break it in correctly. Either way you go you will have fun with an 1/8 scale buggy. There is more maintenance with a buggy due to the fact that they have a front, center, and rear diff. If your diffs don't hold the fluid in the diff cases well, then regular preventive maintence is a must. The diff gears are made of some kind of cast material that is not overly strong to start with, so when the fluid level in the diffs get low the gears heat up and strip. You will become adept at changing gears if you are lax with your upkeep. Four wheel drive and a big horsepower 21 engine will allow you to jump your buggy to an altitude of well over 6 feet on most moderate jumps. I have had buggies fly over my head while standing along side of the track at a local track. They hit with a thud, but keep right on trucking. 1/8 scale buggies are a blast.