Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie here with Evader ST and BX pro's

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie here with Evader ST and BX pro's

I posted some stuff in the Electric offroad forum. Mostly having issues with the BX pro at the moment. Don't know if it's the Futaba 3Pm 3 channel remote or possibly a bad motor or ESC. I get no response on throttle squeeze until i actually nudge the car, but last 3 attemtps have yeilded 0 results.

Pic of my cars

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8356/pict01945yp.jpg
Old 12-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

how old is the motor? How many times has it been cut? Is the comm all nice and shiny?

If the comm is to small, worn (blackened) or the wires coming off the brushes are not giving enough slack you can have a similar problem. It won't go but once you nudge it things start contacting.

if you nudge it and it starts working how does it run?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

thats the telltale sign of brushes needing to be replaced, a hung brush or the comm cut...

first pull on each brush and let it snap back (fixes a hung brush). then check the brushes... you need to replace the brushes after about 25% of it has worn...

what motor is it? if the motor is worth a rebuild, cut the comm and replace the brushes...

right now whats happening is either the comm is really worn down or chipped, or the brushes are reaaly worn, or a brush could be hung..
Old 12-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Tech Adept

Hey, I just had the same problem with you just now with my XXX4. That kind of problem is in the motor. As what the others said, it may be in the commutator, the brushes or something else in your motor. What I did was I sprayed the endbell with motor oil, opened it and sprayed it also inside. Make sure the interior of the motor is clean. Also make sure the comm and brushes are clean. After I did all that, I tested it, and it was back to normal. If this doesn't work, then try cutting the commutator and/or replacing the brushes.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Brand New Motor...

Only was used for 5 minutes. I am just thinking it is a bad motor or bad ESC. I have a stock motor from the ST I might throw in the BX too see if it is the speed controller or the motor.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Update:

I swapped out the Venom Racing 15T motor with the motor that came in my Evader ST which is a stock factory 20T motor. Sure enough once I swapped motor's the BX Pro was working fine.

That 15T will get returned on Monday because quite frankly I am miffed that a new motor would tank so easily. It didn't even have 5 mins runs time on it
Old 12-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
Update:

I swapped out the Venom Racing 15T motor with the motor that came in my Evader ST which is a stock factory 20T motor. Sure enough once I swapped motor's the BX Pro was working fine.

That 15T will get returned on Monday because quite frankly I am miffed that a new motor would tank so easily. It didn't even have 5 mins runs time on it
The stock 20t Photon motor and the Venom 15t are junk to say the least. Never go cheap on a motor.

Go with brands like Orion (most preferred) Reedy and Trinity.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Tech Rookie

It was the only 15T motor they had in stock at the store. I wanted something to set the car up for speed. I expected it to last at least 5-10 runs not .25 of a run.

I will be returning it on Monday and I will get something better probably 17 or 16T. I was hoping it was the motor cause I didn't feel like shelling out for a new Speed Control.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

what ESC do you have? What is the motor limit on that ESC?

for the buggy, if you're looking for a good mod motor, pick up the Orion Revolution v2 13 turn double... that is if the esc can handle it...

for the truck, it depends on the track your racing at, but anywhere from a 10 turn to a 12 turn.

if your ESCs cannot handle either one of these motors, don't bother going with a higher turned motor like a 15, 16, or 17. Especially not a cheap one like the venom. You're better off going with a 19 turn like a chameleon 2 than a cheap lower turn mod...
Old 12-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by killer89
what ESC do you have? What is the motor limit on that ESC?
LRP ESC with AI. 13T and Up capable. The motor is junk I took it apart and something frayed apart inside jamming it up. Looks like Brushes. I am gonna go grab a Chameleon Pro 2. That is what my Evader ST has. It is a Putnam Pro-Pulsion "Excessive Force C2 Pro 19T Mod" It was $50.00 at the shop I bought my ST at, and I am gonna grab another.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

well since its 13+ i would pick up a 13x2 orion revolution v2... trust me, there will be a BIG difference btw it and the C2...
Old 12-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
Update:

WELL! theres your problem right there I had the exact venom motor as you and it died after 3 runs they are junk but we got what we both paid for ,for$15.What mine did was the brushes literally ate the com!!Never seen anything like it and my buddy bought one and it burst into flames.We have had similar problems with their batteries .STAY AWAY.don't skimp when it comes to your motors,and for an ESC I would recommend the Duratrax I ntellispeed 8 turn ESC I run it in my evader truck with a 9 turn motor and it is insane!!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

The stock Sprint ESC can actually handle down to 17t's. I have even heard of 16t's being used on the stock ESC. Take no notice of the 20t limit on the ESC label.