Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Is my old charger good enough >

Is my old charger good enough

Is my old charger good enough

Old 12-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Is my old charger good enough

I am getting my daughter (tomboy) her first RC for christmas. It is a simple 9.6v truck to see if she likes it.

I have an old MRC RB-475 Quick charger, but dont know if it will work. The specs on it are: Input 120VAC, .68A AC -- Output 8.4VDC 4A

What do I need to look for or do you think this will work?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

That won't do a very good job. Look into a wall charger for 9.6V packs.

This hobby is a lot more intricate than the toys, but depending on her age a hobby grade R/C might not be the best idea. Look for the Tyco or Radio Shack toy chargers that are built for 9.6V NiCD packs. If you have a NiMH pack, look for a peak charger, or the charger that's specificly designed for the pack. If your charger is capable of charging 8 cells, then you might stand a chance at using your charger. The charge rate might be a bit high, but if you keep an eye on it there won't be much danger. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

To give you a simple answer... no, your charger won't work.

To give you less than a simple answer: You could probably make your charger work, but the voltage output is way too low to fully charge a pack, and the amp rate is too high. Most of those 9.6v batteries are for "toy" R/C cars. They are constructed of 8 AA sized cells, usually with a capacity of 600-700 Mah for NiCds and 1100-1600 mah for nihms. You typically don't want to charge AA sized cells at more than 2 amps, so your 4 amp charge rate could easily damage the battery; causing it to become very hot and vent. They could even explode.

Your best bet would be to get a charger designed specifically for the pack that her toy will need. Usually the manufacturer of the car (like Tyco or Nikko) produces an in house charger and battery pack for the R/Cs they sell.

Your other option would be to upgrade your own charger to one that will suit your needs and will suit her's as well. Something like the Prophet Plus 2 (at a minimum); it can charge 4-8 cell packs at a user selectable 1, 2, or 4 amps. it's AC/DC so you can charge at home or at the track/field. It's also a peak detection charger, so it will stop when the battery is full.

There are other chargers to look at too. The ones I use are the Reedy Quasar Pro (discontinued) and the LRP Pulsar Competition 2 (DC only). Orion makes a good charger, Duratrax has there new ICE charger that is supposed to be good. There are others out there too.

-Frank
Old 12-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you are looking to see if she will like the hobby go to a local race track and see if they have a car to try out. This will give you a way better idea of r/c racing. good luck
Old 12-25-2005, 04:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your time and feedback.

Merry Christmas.

Jim