Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Can I charge my radio (without taking out batteries)? >

Can I charge my radio (without taking out batteries)?

Can I charge my radio (without taking out batteries)?

Old 12-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Can I charge my radio (without taking out batteries)?

My radio has a socket hole in it for a like a wall wart charger. I'm assuming that this will charge the batteries - but I'm not sure how I know what kind of charger to use?

It uses 8 aa, and I'm using NIMH 1.2v's

I don't have instructions as I bought it off someone used. Also - my car does not have a jack (it's nitro) but is there a way to set it up so I can charge by plugging in?

PS - the Energizer 4aa 15 min charger jack (that usually hooks into the charger) hooks right into the radio

Thanks
Old 12-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, there are a few things you can do. do you want to buy a transformer , or a general hobby use charger? if you are getting into r/c, then you should get a high quality cherger for your batteries. i use the duratrax intelegent peak charger, it will charge the batteries to the max.
do the math, 1.2 * 8 = 9.6 volts. that cherger thing you mentioned would only be able to charge half that amount (4 batteries) .

if i were in your shoes, i would ( if i didnt care about the charger thing from radioshack) i would cut off the connector with about 5 inches of cord on it, make sure that i know which whire is which, and what polarity the transmitter needs. i would then buy a charger ( as i described earlier ) , and simply insert the wires into the charger, and plug it in. if you have done a good job, it will charge your batteries. if you did something wrong, like switched the polarity, then you may see smoke come from the transmitter or charger. ( which means you toasted it ). you, if you are a newb to stuff like this,you should get help from a hobby shop.

Now, the idea of puttting a adaptor on you nitro truck...
at the end of the day, it is much simpler to take the batteries out, and charge them. you could put an adaptor in your truck, but it would look wierd, be wierd, and be clumbsy. if you are a newb, dont try to modify with the electronics that much, because a simple mistake can fry a 100 - 200 doller radio system.

be careful, chose your charger wisely, and have common sense.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What brand of radio do you have? Your best option for cost would be to go to your local hobby shop and see if they have a wall charger for your brand of transmitter. Usually they're sold to the airplane crowd, but you can still use them for your car. They're ment to charge your transmitter batteries and your reciever batteries at the same time. If you buy one from the same manufacturer of your radio, then you'll know that the polarity is correct.

If you can't get one from your specific manufacturer, then if you have a Hitec or Futaba system, the charge plug and polarity is the same. If you have a JR radio, then you need one specifically from JR, because the polarity is reversed. If you have an Airtronics, then I'm not sure... but you should probebly get an Airtronics one. Do not plus in a charger from JR into a Futaba or Hitec system, or vise-versa.

The second option would be if you either already have a good quality R/C charger that can charge 8 cells, or you're planning on buying one. You can purchase adapters for these chargers to charge your transmitter. Hobbico makes good ones for almost all radio brands. Please note: you should limit your charge rate to less than 1.5 amps. Most radios have a fuse that'll pop if you try to charge faster. I usually remove my battery pack from my transmitter so I can charge my batteries faster.

And finally: putting a charge plug into your car is easy. Just go you your local hobby shop and buy a switch with charging jack. Again, they're usually sold to airplane guys, but they work good for cars too. Expert makes an excellent unit that costs around $6-$8. This plug comes with 3 leads. one for your battery, one for your reciever and one for charging. Just replace your current switch with it and you're good to go. All my nitro cars have these because taking out the reciever pack is a pain in the behind.

-Frank