Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Stock motor maintenance >

Stock motor maintenance

Stock motor maintenance

Old 12-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default Stock motor maintenance

What is maintenance needed for a stock motor. I don't have a comm lathe yet. I was told not to unseat the brushes or the motor would lose power and the brushes would have to be changed. Right now I spray them out with motor spray let it dry then oil the bushings and add comm drops.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

I see you have a lot to learn, but here is a site you can go to and learn everything about stock motor, RCCARS.COM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

Well so far you are doing the right thing buy using the motorspray and com drops. I would also if you have a compressor I would blow out the motor as well. Most stock motors are low maintance, I usually replace my brushes after about 15 runs, and have a friend cut the com and brushes for me, since I don't have a lathe either.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Usually LHS's will cut your comm for you for $3 or so and you can get a new pair of 767 brushes for $3.I cut my motor every 8 runs and reserrate my brushes(requires a brush serrator) every 4 runs, and replace my brushes every cut.Motor spray is good and keeping the bushings smooth is important.You can buy a comm stick to use inbetween cuts to keep you motor lasting longer between cuts aswell.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

What about unseating the brushes?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rockdog200
What about unseating the brushes?
I think u mean reseating the brushes. After the comm has been cut u need to reseat the brush to the comm again. U only need to do it at 2 volts for about 30 seconds
Old 12-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

No I mean taking the brush out and cleaning it and the comm then putting it back in the hood. Our local motor builder said not to take the brushes out ever until it's time to cut the comm.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rockdog200
No I mean taking the brush out and cleaning it and the comm then putting it back in the hood. Our local motor builder said not to take the brushes out ever until it's time to cut the comm.
I regulary clean my brushes/comm (after 2 runs). I have never heard of such a thing to be honest, but in theory I can sort of see the logic behind that one. To my understanding, the brushes sit perfectly as they rest (after break-in). By removing the brushes and then putting them back in disrupts or resets this seated position which makes for another short break-in so that the brushes are re-seated correctly.

That was the best and only thing I could pull out, otherwise what your motor builder said is false. Also, if your motor builder told you this, "I was told not to unseat the brushes or the motor would lose power and the brushes would have to be changed" then I can guarantee that he is talking with his lower cheeks.

Motor Tuning -- http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html
Old 12-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When ever I replace my brushes (or reuse old ones for practice sessions), I usually run a fine jewelers file over the face to the brush to dull the leading and trailing edge. This helps it wear in better, prevents arching and brush hangups.

As far as motor maintenance: I usually cut my comm and install a new set of brushes the night before race day. I use this armature and set of brushes through practice and the 3 qualifiers. I then pull apart my motor, install a freshly cut armature and a new set of brushes. I like to swap the armature, because I don't always have time to cut one between races. It also means that I don't have to bring my lathe with me on race days. I then use that arm and brush combo for a practice day the following week.

-Frank