Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need suggestions on Batt/charger >

Need suggestions on Batt/charger

Need suggestions on Batt/charger

Old 12-18-2005, 02:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Need suggestions on Batt/charger

I need 2 6 or 7 cell packs and a good charger that will recharge the packs in 15-30 mins. Any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What types of packs to you have. If you have 3600, 3700 or 3800, then you would need to charge these at around 7.5 amps to get them done in 30 minutes, which is my opinion is too high.
In terms of charger, I have the Duratrax ICE, and have had no problems with it.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by b3n
What types of packs to you have. If you have 3600, 3700 or 3800, then you would need to charge these at around 7.5 amps to get them done in 30 minutes, which is my opinion is too high.
In terms of charger, I have the Duratrax ICE, and have had no problems with it.
I dont have any. I was looking for suggestions because I cam getting ready to get some. Someone recommended the GP 3300 at radioshack. How long does it take to charge them?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

It depends on the Amp rate you charge it. If you charge it by 5Amps, I think it takes around 30 min or so. GP 3300 are pretty good. Also try GP 3700. there are many good chargers. I have a LRP pulsar, it's also good. But I recommend LRP Pulsar2 because it's better. Or also try the Orion charger.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry, my fault. I skimmed the original post and thought you wanted a charger that would charge 6 - 7 cell batteries.

I charge my cells at 5 Amps, so a 3300 would charge in about 40 minutes at 5 Amps.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

5A is a good starting point. The higher you charge your packs, the more punch you'll get with decreased runtime. Slower charge rates equal less punch but more runtime. GP3300 cells are great for just about every application. I would say go for a matched pack, because those cheap RadioShack packs are in the most inefficient packaging. The way the cells are positioned, there is an excessive amount of resistance. Those types of packs use aluminum foil spot welded to the end of the cells. A good matched pack assembled with some quality battery bars are the way to go. A good peak detection charger with a 5A charge rate and an adjustable peak detect is reccomended. You WILL NEED a peak charger...DO NOT use a dial charger with a NiMH pack. Damage CAN AND WILL occur with thsoe cheap dial chargers. They charge too fast and too much. A NiMH pack requires peak detection chargers because the cells can be damaged by overcharging. A peak detection charger measures the voltage drop across the pack when the cells are charged to capacity, and stops the charge to avoid harmful damage. A dial charger keeps pumping voltage into the packs when they are allready at their maximum capacity. These chargers will cause your pack to vent and loose pressure, which will severly reduce the lifespan of the cells.