Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complete Newbie Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 02:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Complete Newbie Questions!!

Please be aware before reading this thread that some of these questions may hurt your head!

I like to think I am a quick learner, but I am completely new to all of this and want to get as much information as possible so that I don't wreck anything instantly!!

So here we go ...

I am looking at getting a HPI Racing Trophy 4.6 (Model Number: 107014) which comes out later in June.

After looking through a few different forums and sites and various videos, around the £300 mark this looks good to me (please tell me otherwise if need be!)

I am fairly technically minded and have had experience with real cars and smaller tech, so don't think I will be to scared to start fiddling.

Just wanted to find any common issues that arise with first timers and new RC's?

Also, been reading about things like After Run Oil and Air Filter Oil and wanted to know the pros and cons on running with / without.

Fuel is my next query? Any brands I should be looking out for? Pros and Cons? How much to fill up etc?

Please bear in mind I am in the UK, don't fancy importing things just yet!

Oh and HI!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Answer you weren't expecting - I'd look at a different truck until HPI's European wings' financial situation is cleared up or they are bought out - you don't want to be waiting on a truck that may never actually arrive or if it does, parts don't follow.

I also tend to not recommend nitro cars as a first car; the line between tinkering, turning and shear frustration becomes very fine with those so I'll let someone more enthusiastic about Nitro give you pointers on getting started in that field.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah. With cutter state of Hpi, I'd be suprised if anything is released. Didn't even know that truck was still being sold.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:14 AM
Tech Rookie

I've been looking to get back into RC after 12 years out. I had a few HPI models back in the day so I was looking at the Savage or Trophy as well. The due in stock dates keep getting put back on both. I'm going to wait a while and see what happens before pulling the trigger. If they don't sort themselves out - I will probably buy the truck/truggy/buggy I can find the most readily available spares/upgrades for. There would be nothing worse than needing a spare for your truck and waiting weeks for it.

I started with nitro many years ago and ended up with nitro bashers and 1/10th electric touring cars for racing. There is nothing wrong with starting out with nitro as a beginner so long as you are willing to do some research and put some effort into learning how to use and maintain your model. There are 100's of youtube video tutorials now so its easier. It was nitro that grabbed my attention for the smell and sound. Then got into electrics when my competitive side came out as there was no nitro racing where I lived. Not many UK clubs / tracks
Old 05-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

have you considered ofna/hobao ? they make a good rtr buggy for not much more then the hpi , in saying this i have a hpi vorza (electric 1/8 buggy ) and am very happy with it , but i use it for bashing not racing cause if i raced i would be using something else, which brings us to the next consideration is it for bashing or possibly to race eventually?, do you have a track nearby? if so best thing to do is go there and see what is popular as this will give you free tech support if you befriend the locals ( most guys are happy to help if asked )
cheers and good luck
Old 06-24-2016, 02:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Hobao over HPI anyday... hobao is race performance while HPI is more like toys.