Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
battery maintenance questions >

battery maintenance questions

battery maintenance questions

Old 12-17-2005, 11:55 AM
PWA
Tech Rookie

Default battery maintenance questions

I'm getting back into the sport with my kids and have a few battery maintenance questions. What should I be doing to maintain my batteries? If I'm storing them for a few weeks at a time what should I do to the batteries? I have GP3700 cells, an Ice charger, I currently don't race since we have no local track, and I just built one in my back yard for me and the kids to play on.

My biggest thing is I got a good investment in battery and want to be getting the most out of them. There are so many battery related Item out there I'm not sure what’s needed and what’s not.

Thanks for your time
PWA

Last edited by PWA; 12-17-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PWA
I have GP3800 cells
GP don't make 3800 cells They are IB 3800's.

As for maintaince get ur self a Novak smart tray it equalizies all the cells before charging.

If u plan to store them for more than a week put about a 700maH charge in them then leave them.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

The ICE has a 10A discharge rate. Just use this to discharge your packs down to 5.4v or 0.9v per cell. Equalizer trays can make a big difference to the overall performance of the pack. You don't need one right away, but it would be good to have one within the next month of using the IB3800.

So set;

Peak Detect: 4mv per cell = 20mv for 6 cells
Charge Rate: 5.0A - 6.0A

Run the pack and then discharge down to 5.4v.

A higher charge rate (6.0A) will shorten runtimes, improve punch and shorten the overall lirfespan of the pack and vice versa for a lower charge rate.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

And also, if you wont use the batteries for a week or so, make sure it is not empty. If it's empty, it might crystallize and your batteries' gone.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Tech Master

4-5A is a good starting point for charging the packs. It will also take a couple cycles to wake the cells up, but after that you should have some really great cells on your hands. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2005, 05:47 AM
Tech Adept

Speaking of batteries, I have a Yokomo 3600 mah stick pack. It was overcharged, so one of the cells leaked and was destroyed. So, I bought another cell for replacement. But it was a sanyo 3600 mah.(yeah I know it's not advisable). Anyway I assembled it and discharged, then charged it. Here's the problem, after charging it, I tested it in my buggy. It was slow. Like it's already weak. Does that mean the pack hasn't "woke up" yet? Or is there something else wrong?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Now it's gotten worse. When I charged it, it's charge rate is only between .1- .2 Amps. I tried my other batts, it was just fine. Is my battery dead? Need help!
Old 12-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by csdspeed
Now it's gotten worse. When I charged it, it's charge rate is only between .1- .2 Amps. I tried my other batts, it was just fine. Is my battery dead? Need help!
False Peak maybe? Is the pack warm off the charger?
Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

I already found out already. The other cells are done for. But only 2 cells are fine. So, the whole pack is done for.