Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
What radio to get for Novak synthesized rx >

What radio to get for Novak synthesized rx

What radio to get for Novak synthesized rx

Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What radio to get for Novak synthesized rx

I am looking to buy a Novak synthesized receiver and have no idea what transmitter to get. I like JR products, is the XS3 pro any good? I am looking for a mid range FM setup. Also can someone explain the synthesized technology to me.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexander
I am looking to buy a Novak synthesized receiver and have no idea what transmitter to get. I like JR products, is the XS3 pro any good? I am looking for a mid range FM setup. Also can someone explain the synthesized technology to me.
The XS3 is a good midrange radio and will suit ur needs fine. As for the Synthesized technology i can't help u on that one
Old 12-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TY I think thats what I will get.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Synthesized radios and receivers essentially eliminate the need for crystals. The crystal frequencies are embedded into a chip on both the radio and the receiver. The receiver has a setting, typically two dials, to apply the frequency you want to use. The radio has a similar setting, but it is usally some kind of button pressing procedure to chage the frequency to match the receiver.

Keep in mind Novak makes equipment that is compatible with JR and Futaba. they are not necessarily the same model. Futaba and JR equipment are not compatible with each other. In other words, you can't have a JR receiver and Futaba radio and expect them to work, even if they are on the same frequency. There is something called positive and negative shift. Futaba uses one side and JR uses the other side. You can liken it Apple and Microsoft. Similar products, but not compatible.

Make sure when you order your Novak receiver you specify that it needs to be compatible with JR or Futaba, whichever equipment you decide to get.

BTW, I use an XS3 Pro and I really like it. If you want to step up a notch go with an Airtronics M8. A JR Z1, KO Propo EX-10, or an Aitronics M11 would be just a step above the M8.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Synthesised radios are a very unique way of setting up a radio. They don't require crystals which can wear and get damaged, but they are a more affordable solution to more expensive DSM products like the Nomadio SENSOR or the Spektrum systems.

The Novak XXL is a great reciever that can be used for all sorts of applications. JR has their own FM synthesised reciever if you're interested in buying the entire system.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

The Airtronics MX-3S is another good, but cheap synthesized system.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3s&FVPROFIL=++

Just for the record, JR and Airtronics shift positive, while Hitec and Futaba shift negative, meaning JR/Airtronics is not compatible with Hitec/Futaba. This "shift" refers to the transmitter increasing or decreasing it's output frequency from the carrier frequency to represent data pulses. The carrier frequency "carries" the data to the reciever and is then encoded to perform the controlled task (move servos, activate ESC)

Also, keep in mind that Dual and Single conversion recievers do not mix. Dual conversion is simply superior to Single because they can transmit data at MUCH further distances, they don't retaliate to RF noise as easily and they eliminate the in-band interference from other transimitters on similiar frequencies/channels. The only advantage to Single conversion that I know of are Single Conversion recievers can still operate on the same channels regarding the 75mHz frequency, assuming you are using an FM system.