Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
I'm new and need some advice! >

I'm new and need some advice!

I'm new and need some advice!

Old 12-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb I'm new and need some advice!

I'm looking to purchase an off road remote control car.

I would like it ready to go with controller.

I want it to be very fast and petrol/nitro powered.

Any recommendations? Budget 200/$350 (but generally america is cheaper, so say $300)

Oh.. And are there cars that run on unleaded/premium unleaded?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

There are cars that run on mixed gasloline similar to a chainsaw or a weedwacker, but those aren't within you're price range. The gas powered ones are about $1000 or more just to get going.

You're talking about a nitro car! Small engines that run on expensive fuel mixed from nitromethane, alcahol and castor/synthetic oils (No, you can't blend it yourself). A couple of good choices would be the Traxxas JATO, Traxxas REVO, the HPI Nitro MT, HPI Nitro MT2, HPI Savage 25 SS, the Team Losi XXX-NT RTRII, or the Team Associated RC10GT. Check these out and see how you like them. Just keep away from anything from Smartech, Himoto, or any other Chinese/Imported auction houses on Ebay. They are non- brand name cars built to the cheapest standards and are made like preferated cardboard.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

u beat me to it platinum
Old 12-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Actually you can mix the fuel yourself, it's just not practicle, and I think it comes out more expensive.
I know we did this in our rc plane club back in the time when I lived in france.
It came out cheaper, but we had to donate some money each to buy the 60L barrels of oil and methanol as the 20L canisters of nitromethane. There are smaller sizes out there, but it is not interesting. If you plan on selling the fuel, better make sure ou have some device that controlls the amounts of each ingredient, but you can earn some $$$. The mixture itself is eassy, 18-25% oil 10-25% nitromethane, the rest is methanol. Find mixture that works best for you conditions. That is the advantage, if you live high in altitude, there is less O2, then bring a plane even higher, it becomes more interesting in having more nitromethane to get more power (it has some oxygen in it's formula which is used in its own combustion).
But again for personel use it's too much of a hassle.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Excellent info, thank you very much.

I have had a look at all of them.

The Traxxas Jato looks fantastic.

The Traxxas Jato comes in at 233..$408

Are there cheaper alternatives? Or does it come to a point, where under a certain price range they are bound to be rubbish?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

look at ebay, might find somthing cheaper, or here in the sale forum.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Be ware of EBAY nitro cars. There is a pile of crap on there. Make sure your buying a well known name brand car if your going on ebay.

Such as:
HPI
Serpent
Mugen
Losi
Associated
Xray
Traxxas
Tamiya
Kysosho
ect
ect

Skip:
ACME
Or any brand that shows only pictures of there car with the body on. Or uses brand names to describe its no-name car!!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

$408 for a JATO is expensive. You can get them for only $315 at www.ultimatehobbies.com
Old 12-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

get a RC10GT rtr!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Bought a Traxxas Jato!! and waiting for delivery.

The cheapest online price in the uk for the jato was 232.99 ($412.25 - exchange rates have changed since last time)

+ required extras (280/$495)

I bought half a gallon with it. How long do you think it will last for in driving time?
Also.. how much time will I get from the Uniross 2100mAH batteries I bought? In the car and in the controller.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zenon
Bought a Traxxas Jato!! and waiting for delivery.

The cheapest online price in the uk for the jato was 232.99 ($412.25 - exchange rates have changed since last time)

+ required extras (280/$495)

I bought half a gallon with it. How long do you think it will last for in driving time?
Also.. how much time will I get from the Uniross 2100mAH batteries I bought? In the car and in the controller.

Thanks

driving for one tank, I gues around 8mins plus.... i assume those 2100mah batteries are for your radio; those will last very long.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks fritzD

How much is the capacity(ml)? do you know or think it is?

The jato itself takes 4 AA's according to the website I bought it off. And 8 in the controller.

I'm surprized the car doesn't have a battery already and gets charged off the motor, like an automobile.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Team Duratrax
$408 for a JATO is expensive. You can get them for only $315 at www.ultimatehobbies.com
Yes www.Ultimatehobbies.com is the cheapest around especially when it comes to complete cars or kits.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

Last edited by wei25; 12-28-2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

in a very easy to understand post:

Cars are 4stroke engines. They have an oil pan which houses all internal lubrication which is pumped through to parts that need it.

Nitro's are basically 2stroke engines that get their lubrication from the fuel mixture. You can't run a nitro on gas. If you add lubrication you still won't have the same burn properties that you will get with nitro.

obviously there is a ton more in difference but I'm keeping it relatively simple.