Wiki Posts
Search

How many Lipos do you Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default How many Lipos do you Pack?

I'm currently in the middle of my tlr 22 3.0 build. I currently have 1 battery pack ( http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...i14066/p276944 ).

I plan on doing some club racing, for now this is my only car, how many battery packs should i have on hand for the track?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I keep one lipo per car on hand. Use a single pack all raceday, replace it every @5months. Lipo performance doesn't degrade as the raceday goes along and doing it that way creates natural breaks to let everything else cool while it recharges. It also means I'm not vested in 3-4 packs - buying a new one every few months means I tend to get one that has better specs/lighter/etc. without breaking the bank to maintain that sort of rolling upgrade scenario.

If you ever wanted to get into the hardcore cycling that some of the 17.5 guys do, you'd need more batteries (and probably a better charger and bigger wallet) but to just start out, that's a good pack, you could buy one more if it makes you feel better to have an extra on hand but you realistically don't need more than that.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
I keep one lipo per car on hand. Use a single pack all raceday, replace it every @5months. Lipo performance doesn't degrade as the raceday goes along and doing it that way creates natural breaks to let everything else cool while it recharges. It also means I'm not vested in 3-4 packs - buying a new one every few months means I tend to get one that has better specs/lighter/etc. without breaking the bank to maintain that sort of rolling upgrade scenario.

If you ever wanted to get into the hardcore cycling that some of the 17.5 guys do, you'd need more batteries (and probably a better charger and bigger wallet) but to just start out, that's a good pack, you could buy one more if it makes you feel better to have an extra on hand but you realistically don't need more than that.

Ok, good enough, thanks.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm in a similar position (only 1 car and just starting to race). I could pretty easily get by with 1 pack but I bought 2. It's nice knowing I have a backup in case one cracks or dies unexpectedly. Plus I'm trying to get in as much practice time as I can so now I have the option of getting right back on the track after a quick cool down and not having to wait 30+ min. for the battery to charge if I don't want to.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most of the time i get away with 2, but i like to have a 3rd one just in case, our club days can be pretty short, sometimes only 2 heats so there's not much time for charging between rounds.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

2 per car is what I take to the track with me. 1 will usually get me through qualifying and the main, but I will usually run a fresh pack for the main. Main reason being, I like to take a few practice laps before the qual just to get the feel again. So ill use one pack for the practice and qual and then 1 pack for the main.

This way, I very rarely see the LVC kick in. If ever.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rabidtrout
2 per car is what I take to the track with me. 1 will usually get me through qualifying and the main, but I will usually run a fresh pack for the main. Main reason being, I like to take a few practice laps before the qual just to get the feel again. So ill use one pack for the practice and qual and then 1 pack for the main.

This way, I very rarely see the LVC kick in. If ever.
Are you saying you don't just recharge them at the track?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MarkA
Are you saying you don't just recharge them at the track?
Don't really need to. 2 packs will get me through a full wed. night club race. We run 1 qual and 1 main. If I get to the track early enough, Ill take a few laps to get warmed up and then run the qual on 1 pack. Slap the other pack in for the main.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:35 PM
Tech Initiate

hi, what's it like during a race,

do they usually provide power plug for you to charge?

or you need to bring your own power to the race to charge your lipo

sorry, such a dumb question
Old 02-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Permanent tracks generally offer AC power, some "club" type tracks, usually of the rural and outdoors type might not. Contact your specific track to confirm.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

We always have 2 packs. One in the car and one on the charger. We swap out the battery after every time on the track. That way there is a fully charged battery in the car before each qualifier and main. The cost may be a little high, but what is the cost of the battery going dead 2 laps from the end of a race; ruining your whole day?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I find having only one pack to be miserable. Sure you can get by with one pack on a busy race day if your only running one class. But sooner or later you will bump from say B-main to A-main and you will find your self with a less than fully charged battery.

Also consider practice days. Unless you have a 40 amp charger you will be waiting 45 mins to an hour to recharge. Before you can go back out.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
I'm currently in the middle of my tlr 22 3.0 build. I currently have 1 battery pack ( http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...i14066/p276944 ).

I plan on doing some club racing, for now this is my only car, how many battery packs should i have on hand for the track?
I bring at least 5 . I have my warm up packs. And my race packs which have a higher mah and c rateing . And its better to let them cool before re-charging !
Old 03-02-2016, 01:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm just a hobbyist but I always run 2 packs
Old 03-02-2016, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rannblod
I'm just a hobbyist but I always run 2 packs
Me too . I race when I can Then I have my 4s packs as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.