Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need assistance with RC LiPo Batteries. >

Need assistance with RC LiPo Batteries.

Need assistance with RC LiPo Batteries.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking Need assistance with RC LiPo Batteries.

So I'm new to LiPo Batteries and I have some questions regarding their setup/maintenance/usage

Discharging is the process of lowering the cells 'charge' right?
So what effect does this have and why would you do it? Does that decrease the 'voltage' or the 'mAH'?

Am I right in thinking that as you are using the battery in an RC vehicle, you are effectively discharging it by decreasing the voltage?
And if the voltage is decreasing the performance is decreasing because you have less volts?

Wait...If you are 'discharing' a battery, are you are decreasing the mAH left on the battery or are you decreasing the voltage..or both..? What? Because I read 'capacity determines how long you can run before you have to recharge' but does that mean recharge the 'mAH' or the 'voltage'?
Old 09-20-2015, 02:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AstroCoder123
So I'm new to LiPo Batteries and I have some questions regarding their setup/maintenance/usage

Discharging is the process of lowering the cells 'charge' right?
So what effect does this have and why would you do it? Does that decrease the 'voltage' or the 'mAH'?
The voltage, the total amount of Mah capable stays the same.
Am I right in thinking that as you are using the battery in an RC vehicle, you are effectively discharging it by decreasing the voltage?
And if the voltage is decreasing the performance is decreasing because you have less volts?
Not at all. When you crank you're real car to start it, you are removing voltage from the battery. The longer you crank the engine, the slower the starter rotates< non lipo battery
Wait...If you are 'discharging' a battery, are you are decreasing the mAH left on the battery or are you decreasing the voltage..or both..? What? Because I read 'capacity determines how long you can run before you have to recharge' but does that mean recharge the 'mAH' or the 'voltage'?

It's voltage. Lipos don't discharge in a downward slope. They maintain the same voltage pretty much until the voltage drops enough to kick in the low voltage cuttoff. The Mah or milli amp hour rating, stays the same. The voltage is how much current you can tap into, the Mah is the size of the gas tank you can draw from
Compare a niHm to a Lipo. The niHm slopes dowward as it discharges, the truck gradually slows. The lipos slope is more flat, until the voltage drops to a cutoff voltage level. That gives you top perfomance evenly. Truck runs almost 100% until battery is depleted.

Mah is the size of the cars gas tank, how long it can go before tank is empty.
Burst rate is how big the fuel line is, big motors suck fuel fast.
Voltage is how much performance the motor will make. More voltage=more performance
Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

When charging a lipo you are bringing voltage back to 8.4v (on a2s lipo).and you are bringing mah back up also. As voltage slowly drops so does mah when in use.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In simple terms, the bigger the capacity (mAh), the longer the output power will stay high.