Need advice

Old 08-25-2015, 11:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Red face Need advice

Hello everyone,
So I apologize in advance as this is yet another post about a newbie who doesn't know what car to buy. I'm just so overwhelmed by this whole new world that I need a little personal advice. So here goes.

I recently have become really interested in RC cars. In my research, I've come to find that I really like the look of the off-road trucks (the Traxxas Slasher and the like come to mind) and I would, at this point, use it almost solely for bashing. It would also be nice to have a single car where I can start, learn the basics and the controls, and then upgrade it quickly and cheaply, if possible, to a stronger, faster version. In my research I saw a few comments about a truck that has a 50% option?

Beyond that though, I really don't know what would be best for what I want. I'm completely new to RC cars (although I have done quite a bit of tinkering with other hobbies) so when it comes to gas vs. electric (from my reading I've determined nitro probably isn't for me, although I could be wrong in this), 2x vs. 4x, etc. I'm stumped. I just know I want a car that will allow me to ease in but also really go once I'm in.

Im also a bit worried just because of my lack of experience. I know nothing about RC cars and don't know anyone who does so I'd hate to sink a ton of money into something only to have it sit in my garage because I'm not experienced enough to fix it. Any thoughts on that? Has that been an issue for anyone?

Thank you all very much
Old 08-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Tech Rookie

If you are considering a short course truck like the slash, but want something that you can grow with, I would highly suggest you skip traxxas and go strait to a race quality kit from the get go. If you want 4 wheel drive, you should consider a Losi SCTE or a tekno 410. These can usually be had used for cheap, but I understand if you want to go new.
If you want a 2wd, I would suggest the best out there in it's class with a losi 22 SCT.
The reason I suggest either of those manufacturer kits are because of extreme durability and tunability.
Traxxas is fine if you only want to bash with it, but if you ever decide to go to a track you will instantly regret owning one once you have to compete against the other brands.
Also the Losi and tekno will hold it's value long after the traxxas.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

^^ Great advise.

My recommendation is that even if you don't know anything about RC, take your time and build a kit, not buy an RTR. This way you can learn how these cars/trucks are put together and know how to repair them when they break or when you need to do periodic maintenance on them.

I will note that for bashing, Tamiya makes some fun easy to build kits that are upgradable to your liking. GL with whatever truck you decide to go with.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate it. I have a few more questions though.
If you are considering a short course truck like the slash, but want something that you can grow with, I would highly suggest you skip traxxas and go strait to a race quality kit from the get go.
My recommendation is that even if you don't know anything about RC, take your time and build a kit, not buy an RTR. This way you can learn how these cars/trucks are put together and know how to repair them when they break or when you need to do periodic maintenance on them.
Do you think i as a newbie could do a kit like that? I really just have no idea what it involves and would hate to screw it up or not be able to do it at all.

These can usually be had used for cheap, but I understand if you want to go new.
Is there a site or location you would suggest for buying used (and new) RC cars? I've been looking through craigslist but I dont think I trust craigslist to something like this. Im located in Orange, California if that helps.

Also, two wheel vs. four wheel drive. Any preferences or information one way or the other? I've looked up info on this and was leaning towards 4wd but wasn't positive.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Buying used is risky if you don't know what you are looking for. I don't advise it for a newcomer. If you do the research, buying used vcan definitely save you $ though.

Before getting into which you should pick. Why did you get interested? Does a friend have one? Is there a track that you visited? Where do you plan on driving it?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jnmaietta
Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate it. I have a few more questions though.

Do you think i as a newbie could do a kit like that? I really just have no idea what it involves and would hate to screw it up or not be able to do it at all.

Is there a site or location you would suggest for buying used (and new) RC cars? I've been looking through craigslist but I dont think I trust craigslist to something like this. Im located in Orange, California if that helps.

Also, two wheel vs. four wheel drive. Any preferences or information one way or the other? I've looked up info on this and was leaning towards 4wd but wasn't positive.
Tamiya kits come with detailed instructions with illustrations and they are one of the easiest to build imo. I think you can do it. If you get stuck, just post up and we can help you out. 4WD is easier to drive than 2WD in my opinion. 2WD is fun though.

As for buying new, I suggest you check online stores like towerhobbies, omni models, amain, tqracing, etc. Some offer a package deal where they combine chargers and electronics to make it easier to know what to buy.
If Tamiya, you can also buy directly from tamiyausa.com

As for buying used, as shagino mentioned below, it actually requires more knowledge and experience with RC as most used cars require new maintenance parts like bearings, and also rebuilds such as for dampers, gear box (diff), etc.

I've bought a few used kits as spares, but all of them required some level of maintenance to get it running perfectly again like new.

Originally Posted by shagino
Buying used is risky if you don't know what you are looking for. I don't advise it for a newcomer. If you do the research, buying used vcan definitely save you $ though.