Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Car advice for someone looking to get back into RC. >

Car advice for someone looking to get back into RC.

Car advice for someone looking to get back into RC.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Car advice for someone looking to get back into RC.

Hello. I'm looking at getting back into RC cars after a break of almost 30 years. As a teenager I used to race my Tamiya Boomerang at a club as well as bashing in the garden or woods. Messing around with a friendís car on the weekend (an original Tamiya Subaru Brat) has given me the bug again. A few things have changed since the 80's though, brushless motors, LiPo batteries, 2.54Ghz transmitters as well as numerous new types of car, truggy or truck.

Initially I was drawn to the Schumacher Cougar KR. The Schumacher CAT was what we all lusted over when I was a kid and the idea of a fast, agile buggy is very appealing. But it seems like buggys have changed a bit, less all rounders and more race cars, and may not be well suited to the local park or woods, driving on grass or being treating roughly?

Would I be crazy to get a buggy like the Cougar KR for light bashing (no backflips off skate ramps)?

Should I be looking more at something like the Team Losi Racing 22T 2.0 or Team Associated T5M?

My main requirements are:

A Kit: building it and tinkering is half the fun.
Suitable for light bashing, running on grass and dirt in parks and woods. A few jumps but no backflips.
Iíd like to run brushless with LiPo.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

Thank you.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you don't want to race, something in the traxxas line might be up your alley. Parts are plentiful and they are tough. And are fairly quick too. 1/10 scale buggies are supposed to be kind or fragile, but I haven't broken mine YET....

Maybe a short course truck......... I have a LOSI SC 4x4 with a 4.5 turn motor with a 80c battery and in a straight line it will almost keep up with an 1/8 scale buggy
Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

short course truck. Losi, associated, durango, or tekno all good.
Amainhobbies.com has easy website to shop.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/tekno-r...kr5500/p246420

You be super happy with this
Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies, it looks like a short course truck is the way to go.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

oh yeah, one more thing, spend the xtra $$$ and get a 4x4, they go through rough stuff so much better without getting stuck
Old 09-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mism
Hello. I'm looking at getting back into RC cars after a break of almost 30 years. As a teenager I used to race my Tamiya Boomerang at a club as well as bashing in the garden or woods. Messing around with a friendís car on the weekend (an original Tamiya Subaru Brat) has given me the bug again. A few things have changed since the 80's though, brushless motors, LiPo batteries, 2.54Ghz transmitters as well as numerous new types of car, truggy or truck.

Initially I was drawn to the Schumacher Cougar KR. The Schumacher CAT was what we all lusted over when I was a kid and the idea of a fast, agile buggy is very appealing. But it seems like buggys have changed a bit, less all rounders and more race cars, and may not be well suited to the local park or woods, driving on grass or being treating roughly?
You sound identical to me. took a 30 year break. started with Tamiya (not Boomerang, but Bigwig.) Switched to original 1987 Schumacher Cat and love it.
Stick with the advice given here. If you decide to go back to a more competitive car, Schumachers are still kick ass...