Expo

Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Expo

if I'm looking to 'soften' the steering and throttle (as I'm learning) do I want positive or negative Expo with a Spektrum transmitter? Dx4C and sr301 rx. Looks like different makes use different +\- lingo. And what might be a good starting point, 20-25%?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You want negative expo to "soften" your steering and throttle but be aware, all it does it soften it from center/neutral and packs that range into the higher end of the curve. In other words, no more than 15-20% and you're often better off trying other work arounds; simply a lower punch setting on your esc and a lower d/r (total throw) on your steering can make a car feel more settled without giving up real linearity.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure that for Spektrum, it's positive expo that you want. I recommend steering expo but not throttle. Use EPA for throttle.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Once you get used to the controls, I suggest learning to go with a steep expo setting to actually make your throttle more responsive. You will see many pros that do this, not just because they are that good, but more so it is easier to blip the throttle and get a burst of power to over come jumps out of a turn. I would suggest you learn not to just pull and hold throttle, but rather make quick pulls and releases through technical sections of track. It helps me to do this, as the other method will sometimes cause you to turn in late or exit to wide. You will want to consider using a bit of drag brake as well for entering turns a little more hot. But beware of nose dive over jumps if you don't stay on the throttle once you clear the jump face.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino
I'm pretty sure that for Spektrum, it's positive expo that you want. I recommend steering expo but not throttle. Use EPA for throttle.
Upon re-reading the op, you are correct, Spektrum is the brand that is "backwards" on that.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MarkA
Upon re-reading the op, you are correct, Spektrum is the brand that is "backwards" on that.
It would be nice if manufacturers would keep things simple wouldn't it?
I run futaba anyways.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino
I'm pretty sure that for Spektrum, it's positive expo that you want.
It is. My DX4S is opposite of my 4PKS-R.

OP- I usually start around 20 as you mentioned and see how the car responds. Also remember that if your have a quick servo, it could be as easy as using some dual rate to narrow the EPA to get better control of your car.

GL!