Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help! rubber or foams for the F103? >

Help! rubber or foams for the F103?

Help! rubber or foams for the F103?

Old 08-20-2015, 05:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Help! rubber or foams for the F103?

Hi, I have been racing with friends in various car parks in my area since January with Tamiya F104s and F103s.

I started with the F104 and Tamiya's own F104 rubber tires worked fine, with sometimes Pit Shimizus being slightly better on the surfaces we use..

I prefer the look and style of the F103 so I have switched and I have the Williams FW18 with a few hop ups etc.. but the Shimizus F103 rubber tires don't seem to be working as good as the Tamiya F104s or 104 Shimizus..

I have got a set of Shimizu 103 front and rear soft and medium compounds.

I know I have a different car so it won't be like for like but it's becoming ever more frustrating having no rear end on some surfaces..

SO, I was wondering if foam tires may be a better option, and do they give you more grip or balance or stability to start tuning your car?

I have also seen the grooved ride tires available, has anyone tried these against Pit Shimizus?

This has probably been discussed loads of times but I can't seem to find any direct comparisons between foam and rubber..

Thanks for any info!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It's a tricky one - if the car parks where you are racing are at all dirty/dusty/oily, you won't get the foam tires to hook up at all, ever. They will be worse than the worst rubber tire. Foams are for carpet or "prepared" asphalt. On the other hand, if where you guys are racing is a spectacularly clean parking lot where, with the right tire sauce, you got them to work, you'd drive circles around your soon to be former friends.

Your best bet is to trial and error your way to the "best" rubber tires for the places you are running but start tuning your car the best you can in the meantime - I'd start with dramatically softening the rear end for running on low-grip asphalt. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info, yeah one car park is especially dusty, In fact I don't know why we race there at all! lol I've got some Zen foams on the way so I guess I'll do what you say and just test stuff out.

Had a quick run out today and the shimizu soft rear and medium front rubber tires seem to give the best overall performance. Then I ran my kit foams and they weren't too far behind just a tad loose on rears. The foam feels nicer though and seems to cope with the uneven surface better, which is probably better for me as a beginner Thanks again!