Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Traxxas Rally to Slash 4x4 - up to date info? >

Traxxas Rally to Slash 4x4 - up to date info?

Traxxas Rally to Slash 4x4 - up to date info?

Old 08-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Traxxas Rally to Slash 4x4 - up to date info?

Hey there,

I can only find really old threads on this...

I'm reasonable new to the hobby and have just started regularly racing a blitz and am keen to get a 4x4 that can bash a little and race also (don't necessarily need to win the A main), I bought a second hand Traxxas Rally thinking it would be an easy conversion. The car is a year old, so what would I need to cross it over, is the stock motor/esc going to be competitive?

I know I need bumpers, body mounts, wheels, body, will I needs new screws for the bumpers etc?

Is it worth doing or should I just flick it and get a second hand 4x4?

After that a new transmitter will be the next big investment...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated... Thanks!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

dont waste your time.. by the end of moding ur rally.. you will have spent the amount it would have taken you to buy a used sct 4wd or 4x4.. Id recommend the Losi scte.. many many are posted..look.... a brushless esc and a 3500kv motor will be best.. check with what ur track allows 1st...I feel you will always be at a disadvantage in racing with a modded rally v a sct 4x4.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Go to Traxxas.com and under support there are exploded view's. You can print them out and compare. Also they have the part numbers to help you get what you need.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, i was shopping around for a used 4x4 (i'm in Australia), but couldn't find one, which is why i picked up the rally. Now I've researched a bit further, i'm not so sure...

My driving/racing ability needs more work than the car at this point... Some food for thought! If i go through with the conversion I'll be sure to post up the journey...

Cheers!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the tip, did some investigating and math, traded the rally and a couple of bucks for an scte... Just need to get a fan for the track star motor. Feel a lot better for the decision. Yeew!
Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The guy that mentioned converting was right. It's more costly than it would have been just dumping it and getting the one you wanted. How are you liking your SCTE?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah it was for the best me thinks... The scte motor was getting really hot, so I've just gone down from 16t to 13t spur, haven't driven it yet...

4x4 is soooo different to 2wd, won't race the scte for a couple of months yet (trying to get my act together in 2wd first), but initial impression is really good!

Cheers!