Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Cheapest way to race >

Cheapest way to race

Cheapest way to race

Old 08-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Cheapest way to race

I am 14 and make $15 every other week and about $30 a month with other various jobs I do. I want to know the cheapest way to race. I own a Hpi Vorza and a ECX torment, both stock. I want to be competitive but can't afford $100 lipo's. with some saving I could get a car setup for racing but the funds to keep racing are what seems expensive. A set of sc race tires is not cheap and I don't make enough to buy a new set often. Especially with stuff like movies with friends and broken parts and race fee's. anyone know just a cheap way to race? (and be at least a little competitive in a rookie class)
Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you might be better off just gathering a couple of your local RC friends at a parking lot, setup a few dozen dots to mark your track, and race using the same class motors and tires. Unless you need to attend race venues.

The object here is to have fun. Worrying about your money all the time, will probably not make it too fun.
Racing will require money just to attend, and all the replacement parts you will need.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some thoughts for saving cash in the hobby to be able to attend club races:

- Get a medium size pin tire not small pin, such as Enduros or Calibers instead of Gridiron or Sqaure Fuzzie (slower wear), and get them in Medium (preferable) or soft compound, but not Super Soft. This way at an outdoor track, you can probably

- Budget option such as HobbyKing and HobbyPartz electronics (example, metal gear servo 20$, decent ESC and motors at 30-40$

- raid your parent's garage for standard useful items such as tools, electrical tape, etc.

- Avoid temptation to spend any money on bling!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monkeyman117
anyone know just a cheap way to race? (and be at least a little competitive in a rookie class)
Competitive in a rookie class? Practice until your driving skill is so good the other stuff doesn't matter - there is a younger-ish teenager around your age in my area that crushes the rookie class with an ECX buggy and that's at a carpet/turf OffRoad track where his car is probably the least suited for purpose one on the track. Get to the track and give it a go; I've yet to be at a track were stuff like used tires that are, more often than not, still quite good, will find their way into the pit area of younger racers who are eager to learn, respectful, and show a real interest in getting into the organized racing.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I think you might be better off just gathering a couple of your local RC friends at a parking lot, setup a few dozen dots to mark your track, and race using the same class motors and tires. Unless you need to attend race venues.

The object here is to have fun. Worrying about your money all the time, will probably not make it too fun.
Racing will require money just to attend, and all the replacement parts you will need.
My neighborhood is secluded from the rest of civilization and we have 19 kids total here. Me, my brother, and my dad are the only rc'ers. My brothers car is always broken and my dad only does gliders (wants an e-revo but can't pull the trigger).
Old 08-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stelio279
Some thoughts for saving cash in the hobby to be able to attend club races:

- Get a medium size pin tire not small pin, such as Enduros or Calibers instead of Gridiron or Sqaure Fuzzie (slower wear), and get them in Medium (preferable) or soft compound, but not Super Soft. This way at an outdoor track, you can probably

- Budget option such as HobbyKing and HobbyPartz electronics (example, metal gear servo 20$, decent ESC and motors at 30-40$

- raid your parent's garage for standard useful items such as tools, electrical tape, etc.

- Avoid temptation to spend any money on bling!
Good idea with the tires. I will definitely check out what longer lasting options work well on y local track. And I've already raided my parents garage for lots of stuff... My dads always mad at me case I have all his tools spread around my fold-up table in our basement . And I am a Hobbyking fanatic. Everything but vehicles comes from them.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MarkA
Competitive in a rookie class? Practice until your driving skill is so good the other stuff doesn't matter - there is a younger-ish teenager around your age in my area that crushes the rookie class with an ECX buggy and that's at a carpet/turf OffRoad track where his car is probably the least suited for purpose one on the track. Get to the track and give it a go; I've yet to be at a track were stuff like used tires that are, more often than not, still quite good, will find their way into the pit area of younger racers who are eager to learn, respectful, and show a real interest in getting into the organized racing.
Hmm. My track makes u move up after u win 3 races. Will see how I do in 3 races though.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Offer to help out at the track in exchange for race fees, or at least a reduction. Can really help being an ongoing expense otherwise. Also puts you in a good spot to gain some positive visibility with the other racers to get some of the somewhat used but still useful tires and other stuff like Mark mentioned.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a slash i would sell you.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Hmm. My track makes u move up after u win 3 races. Will see how I do in 3 races though.
Tires are expensive, without them, "win" won't happen. 2WD EP buggy... you only need a pair of tyres and best ask for durability.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I am 14 and make $15 every other week and about $30 a month with other various jobs I do. I want to know the cheapest way to race. I own a Hpi Vorza and a ECX torment, both stock. I want to be competitive but can't afford $100 lipo's. with some saving I could get a car setup for racing but the funds to keep racing are what seems expensive. A set of sc race tires is not cheap and I don't make enough to buy a new set often. Especially with stuff like movies with friends and broken parts and race fee's. anyone know just a cheap way to race? (and be at least a little competitive in a rookie class)
Practice. Just having a controller in your hand. That's what makes you better.

I run a OFNA Hyper SSE at my local track with $30 Turnigy lipos and I can finish in the top 3 every single weekend. ( I have trophy's to prove it if anyone wants pics ) I even gave a LOSI team driver a run for his money at the last money race we had at my local track with this buggy.

I also race a TA04 in touring car over the winter and place in the top 2 every weekend.

Set the car up to how YOU drive. then PRACTICE.