Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Not "new" but "New Back" Battery/Charger/Radio questions >

Not "new" but "New Back" Battery/Charger/Radio questions

Not "new" but "New Back" Battery/Charger/Radio questions

Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Not "new" but "New Back" Battery/Charger/Radio questions

Ok, so i've been out of the hobby for 6-7 years or so and have decided to get back in. And over that time I see a lot has changed. So i'll break things down into sections. Note that I don't really plan on getting into any racing or anything so I don't need to focus on the absolute latest cutting edge thing.

Battery/Charger

When I got out LiPo cells and similar chemestries were just now making their way onto the scene in a big way but people were still largely using NiMH packs and LiPos were expensive as hell. I've still got 1 or 2 old NiMH packs but was curious about the new chemistries. I've used LiIon in flashlights and the real small quadcopters and whatnot but never in a real high drain appliation. And likewise those cells have their own chargers, whether they be USB, etc. So i was wondering what a good chemistry to use for Brushed and later Brushless setups would be. And also what everybody would recommend as far as a charging solution. I do have some needs outside of R/C for the charger so it'd need to be able to charge multiple chemistries, including NiMH (up to 16 cells in series), SLA, and maybe even NiCad as well as all the new lithium stuff with appropriate balance plugs, But it'll also need to have an A/C option built in. I don't want to have to mess around with a power supply. Or should I just say to hell with all that and just stick with my old Indi Nicad/NiMH charger and keep buying the 6 cell sub-c packs? Should I just toss the old sub-c packs in the recycle box as a dead form factor and not invest another penny in to that form factor/chemistry?

Radio Gear

I've got an old Spektrum DX3 like the one in the attachment. I don't have any receivers for it. I was wondering if it would be worth me sourcing older DSM receivers or just getting a newer radio as it seems that there is now a DSM2 protocol. Which likely wouldn't be compatable with my old radio?

Motors/ESC's

Lastly I've got some brushed motors/esc's that i'm going to be using. Your basic Novak/Tekin type stuff. Is it worth me upgrading to brushless stuff on an older buggy (Losi XXX-4) or will I just end up tearing stuff up with the increased performance? As with the last time I was in the hobby the Brushless stuff had just started to become fairly mainstream but was pretty pricy. I'm glad to see the cost has come down a LOT on it.

Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry for the rambling.

-Shane
Attached Thumbnails Not "new" but "New Back" Battery/Charger/Radio questions-dx3.jpg  
Old 07-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Motors esc.. Go brushless. I also run a few XXX4.. and all but 1 is brushless. I have many many setups. some as low as 3 turn thats a Drag car in a XXX4 G+.. I have never broken any drive train parts with brushless on my Losi's.

Chargers and batterys.. Go wil 2 cell lipos I only use hardcase . like the extra protection.. a 7 cell nimh will never be as good as a 3000mah 50c 2 cell lipo. ever,. as long as you do some reading on lipo care and use all will be good .. Here..https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos also. on the xxx4 you will need to grind off the small tabs next to the belt cover in battery area.. ..also.. put a 1/4 spacer under battery posts to get a good hold down on battery..

Radio.. That spektrum is ok to start .. many many other options. but that one will work..My personal Fav..http://www.hfdist.com/

Chargers.. I personally hate ac/dc chargers just not worth the extra cost.. get a Dc version around 10 amps. and you will be able to charge almost any cells you have from NiCad to A123 ..lipo.. along with li-ion..Heres one that is a decent charger for the price .. you might need to add a 30 mm fan internally for cooling. I did..http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

There are many other chargers that do a good job . I personally dont think any are perfect . but this one is Nice.