Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Racing Starter Kit - Advice from vets solicited and appreciated! >

Racing Starter Kit - Advice from vets solicited and appreciated!

Racing Starter Kit - Advice from vets solicited and appreciated!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:45 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Racing Starter Kit - Advice from vets solicited and appreciated!

Purpose of thread is to give rookies ideas on how to economically prepare to begin practicing/racing at the Track.

Please post any helpful info regarding Rc trucks/buggies, parts, tools, Chargers, etc. Advice on anything newbies can learn in advance including the above, things learned over time, etiquette , etc.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Um... not sure exactly what you are asking but, don't cheap out. Cheap crap is just that, cheap crap. Don't yell at anybody. Be a lady or gentleman.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

There are hundreds of different options from many different companies. I think you need to be a bit more specific. There is nothing ecomony about racing. But good stuff the first time and you dont have to rebuy.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:35 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Thanks all. Just looking for any tips.

Battery charger set-up
Tools
Bag to carry gear
Back up electronics

Anything that one may not think of when first starting to race. What definitely not to cheep out on. What can be bought cheaply. Anything you wish you knew right away that you learned the hard way. Thx
Old 07-16-2015, 02:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

A cheap way to start out is to buy of the forum users,first check out there trader rating and even pm some of the people that bought off them(this will put you mind at ease) nine time's out of ten they include tire's and some parts to get you going.Also ask them if they have any other parts they may sell to match the rc car,truck or buggy you are buying.
This is how i have done it and have a heap of race standard buggies and trucks now,there is no way I could have bought all the equipment new it would have cost me more than i have or shall I say more than my wife will let me spend.
Hope this may help. Regards Buster
Old 07-16-2015, 02:25 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Great advice. Have already started implementing. Helpful buying from here as a lot of the used stuff is still somewhat dialed in. can reverse engineer what some have done and go from there. any advice on a charger I can use when bring a SCT and buggy to the track?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I usually take enough charged batteries with me that being said some tracks have chargers available for use, anyway to get started you could ask one of the local guy's at the track if you could use there's,most racer's are a great bunch and they will let you i'm sure.It's also a great way to make friend and learn the ropes.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.rctech.net/forum/11503907-post16.html
Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My best advice is to be friendly and level headed. Most of the regulars at the track will know you are new. As long as you are friendly, many people will offer advice or help because they are looking to grow our group of racers which helps tracks stay open.

Watch others marshal and learn from them, use marshal time to learn the track and see how other racers take the sections around you. Don't let a bad heat affect your mood and affect your willingness to marshal.

Tools and equipment will come as you get deeper into the hobby, most racers will let you borrow a tool, soldering iron, charger or whatever in a pinch, just be friendly.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

watch a few races and ask what cars they run and motors. you dont want to show up with a 9.5 turn motor to learn that you just got your butt whooped because they use 6.5 turn. practice ALOT and practice one thing at a time until you get a hang of it. as for gear like electronics i dont want to suggest anything because i dont race but i drive my cars hard and push them to their limits and turnigy (hobby king brand) motors are still goin good. now i dont know how good they are for racing though.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:18 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Most economical stuff is usually the hobby wing or similar. My best advice to you would be to buy a good kit right from the get go, and one that others drive at the track so you know it isn't the vehicle that is running poorly it is yourself. Other than that just try and get in as cheaply as you can and save that money up for tires to practice with
Old 07-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess posting the ROAR guidelines and what electronics and tires are used might be helpful too.

We didn't have these rules when I use to race over 15yrs ago, so I had to study the guidelines for like USGT and Mini classes just to get a sense of what I need to buy to be compliant. Thanks to many seasoned veterans on the forums, I think I got a good grasp of what I need to get.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm only new to racing, but the advice that's been past onto me is turn the power down, learn throttle control, try to stay in the middle of the track (let the race leaders pass) and punch out consistent laps. each crash will cost you valuable seconds. Consistency is key, if a particular jump is a bit of a lottery for you, learn how to roll through it, fast... I'm on a good day averaging 23 second laps, a guy at the track picked up my controller and knocked out consistent 19 second laps just like that. All the tire sauce it the world can't get me under 20.9... I'm thinking tuning driving skills is the best and cheapest solution early on.

Something I've figured out is change your shock oil regularly (prior to each meet at a minimum), ask what weighT the leading crew are using to take some guess work out of it. And try out some heavier diff oil (2wd) if you're lacking control, well that's what I have done and it seems to work.

Loving all the info on this site!!!!!