Wiki Posts
Search

TT-01E Clicking Under Load

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TT-01E Clicking Under Load

Good afternoon,

I'm definitely a rookie when it comes to RC cars. Always wanted one of the Tamiya Celica GT-Four RC's since I own one of the cars and collectibles are sadly few and far between. Found the opportunity to buy one of the TT-01E XB RTR kits about 6 months ago or so. True to form I had to nickle and dime myself with the various "hop ups" that research showed to be at least a decent upgrade while admittedly adding some umph to the aesthetics of the chassis. The upgrades it has are; aluminum prop shaft, bushing upgrade bearing kit, steering rack, ball bearing front and rear differentials + wheel shafts, adjustable arms, oil filled dampers, higher amperage battery, Tamiya Sport tuned motor, remote tx/rx with gyro and new esc to make it all work.

The problem is that there is a clicking when the car is under load, either forward or reverse. It has always been there which is what caused me to originally start replacing things. I can't figure out what it is though. Gears all look solid (hasn't really had but maybe an hour of run time total yet). I have tried swapping out every piece I can think of to isolate the issue, prop shaft, motor, bearings, wheels, differentials, everything - but the noise persists. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have added links a pic and a video with the sound in my signature since this is my first post and it won't let me add any links anywhere in the main body.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It could be a small pebble stuck in the spur gear, or a bad mesh between the spur and the pinion. I'd pick up an aluminum motor mount and while you're installing it, check to see if there are any small rocks stuck in the gears. Also, make sure you're mounting the motor in the right holes to get a good mesh.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by longuylander
It could be a small pebble stuck in the spur gear, or a bad mesh between the spur and the pinion. I'd pick up an aluminum motor mount and while you're installing it, check to see if there are any small rocks stuck in the gears. Also, make sure you're mounting the motor in the right holes to get a good mesh.
I was wondering if the sound/click could have been a mesh issue. I've checked for debris, all pretty clean, wiped completely down and re-greased/lubed a couple of times. I'm too green to be able to identify the sounds though. I've gone through the mount chart several times and even checked all positions. Ok - aluminum mount and maybe time to get rid of the junk soft pinion gear and replace it an the spur. Thank you for the reply - much appreciated!