Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Newbie here looking for help.... >

Newbie here looking for help....

Newbie here looking for help....

Old 06-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie here looking for help....

I live in Ohio and me and the wife have talked about my 14yr old and I getting in to the sport. We have yet to make any purchases, so Im here looking for advice/direction. We will be looking to start off with dirt track.

PLEASE ADVISE and it is ok to text or email me.... [email protected] or 513-804-8044.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'll assume you want to start racing. Find the track you want to race at. Go on a race day and ask questions, 95% of racers will give you honest answers. Start with something with a good brand. Losi, Teckno, Associated. Find yourself a good RC shop, they will hook you up. I would suggest a 1/10 scale something....buggy or short course truck. Find out at your track what they race. Example : You don't want to pick up a 4wd buggy when they only race 2 wd. You might want to start off with something used even. But stay a little on the slow side.

Today I went to my bashers track and someone started asking me about my 1/8 scale and said he wanted to buy one. I could tell he was novice so I let him drive my buggy if he promised to take it easy. He did. He gave me back my radio and said that I was right that this car is a bit too advanced for him.

But hey, it's your money.

PS> I know of many really good rc shops in the Detroit area if you are around Toledo
Old 06-20-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks....

Hopefully someone from southern Ohio sees this and can help...
Old 06-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

I agree with Buster. Do a google search for tracks in your area and go visit them. Ask questions, listen and observe. You will learn so much and save yourself a ton of money doing that. And if you decide this is the hobby you want, I would bet someone at the track will have used stuff for sell. You can spend a lot of money getting started if you buy everything new.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, I did go to the local track/hobby shop and I took your advice. There just so happened to be a local guy in there and I got to chat with him a bit.

As of now I'm looking for 2 used slashers with brushed motors preferably 2wd.....

Any assistance with this would be great.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, I did go to the local track/hobby shop and I took your advice. There just so happened to be a local guy in there and I got to chat with him a bit.

As of now I'm looking for 2 used slashers with brushed motors preferably 2wd.....

Any assistance with this would be great.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Cool, glad found somebody in your area to help you rather than from 2000 miles away....lol. My first car was a 2wd Slash. Still have it. Raced 4wd short course for 4 years and now have a 1/8 scale buggy and 3 other cars. Gotta walk before you run.

Craig's List might have something used. Hint : when you break something....upgrade it. Slashes are pretty tough
Old 07-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Tech Rookie

I am brand-new to RCTech, but not completely new to the hobby. In addition to what others have said, I would personally recommend getting a vehicle you can easily get parts for. If you're just getting into RC, you don't want to go the cheap route with a brand no one has ever heard of, or a brand that has shoddy parts support. Traxxas have great parts support/customer service and they are excellent trucks for beginners, but you may want to consider other brands like Associated, HPI, or Losi if you plan on getting into competitive racing. You're lucky to have a local track to go run at and get advice from other drivers! Use that to your advantage.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

That's great advice Mogg go with the brand's that have support in your area that way when something breaks and it will you have access to parts to fix it quick.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

With the new Associated SC5m coming out soon, you might be able to find some deals on used SC10s. They are pretty solid race trucks, with usually good local parts availability (check with your local track of course).

I would also look into the option of a brushless setup from the start, at least look into a speed control that could handle brushless if possible. They will be lower maintenance in the long run.