Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
rc car FLIP OVER DEVICE. Need some tips plsss!!!!! >

rc car FLIP OVER DEVICE. Need some tips plsss!!!!!

rc car FLIP OVER DEVICE. Need some tips plsss!!!!!

Old 05-12-2015, 04:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb rc car FLIP OVER DEVICE. Need some tips plsss!!!!!

Im currently in year 12 and working on a rc flip over device for my design and technology major project. I know there's already the flip lid device out there, but I would like to make something more effective and useful. something that will work in as many crash scenarios as possible, and also doesn't require you to drive the car back to reset it. So far I've briefly explored the idea of resettable spring loaded mechanisms, hydraulic systems and roll-cage shaping as possible solutions. I'm open to any ideas you've got if you're kind enough to share.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

1/12 scale cars use a rollover antenna - it's a fiberglass rod mounted vertically on the chassis. Works well.

Tamiya M-Chassis cars practically marshall themselves - no roll-over antenna needed.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

"Currently in year 12" of what?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think he meant high school senior year.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes thats year 12 in high school.
With the rollover antenna used on 1/12 scale cars, do you think there any chance it could also work with heavier 1/10 scale sc trucks? I cant seem to find a good example of it used on anything other than on road 1/12.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

A spring loaded device that is activated by remote then use another chanel and a strong servo to reset?
Seems to me you need to do something more involved than bolting on a strong springy antenna for tje grade.
Need to show innovation and research....
Now if you experimented with a number of different materials, develop a way to make a metal into a springy "antenna"....etc......that may please your proffessor.....
Your grade will be largely on your process of innovation....application of scientific method and research experimentation.....
Old 05-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

I have a flipover device........ His name is andrew my 10yr old stepson... HA
Old 05-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by turbo scorpion
A spring loaded device that is activated by remote then use another chanel and a strong servo to reset?
Seems to me you need to do something more involved than bolting on a strong springy antenna for tje grade.
Need to show innovation and research....
Now if you experimented with a number of different materials, develop a way to make a metal into a springy "antenna"....etc......that may please your proffessor.....
Your grade will be largely on your process of innovation....application of scientific method and research experimentation.....
Sounds like you've got a good idea of the design process... I have put quite a lot of thought into the resettable spring loaded device, experimented with different ways of making it work. Are you familiar with any high quality, super strong servos that might be suitable? Resetting seems to be the point of difficulty here. That's why I'm also into the idea of something much simpler engineering wise. Simplicity can be good too.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wrothharp97
Sounds like you've got a good idea of the design process... I have put quite a lot of thought into the resettable spring loaded device, experimented with different ways of making it work. Are you familiar with any high quality, super strong servos that might be suitable? Resetting seems to be the point of difficulty here. That's why I'm also into the idea of something much simpler engineering wise. Simplicity can be good too.
I donot know of such servos specifically. Though 1/5 or 1/4 scale servos may work. Or a 1/18th scale motor with a gear reduction box?
Your simpler idea could be better. Just need to show enough research process to satisify the requirements of the project. Experiment with different materials etc.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wrothharp97
Yes thats year 12 in high school.
With the rollover antenna used on 1/12 scale cars, do you think there any chance it could also work with heavier 1/10 scale sc trucks? I cant seem to find a good example of it used on anything other than on road 1/12.
I don't thinks so as the base might crack as 1/10 trucks are much heavier...unless you have springs at the base like a door stop coil used in homes.

Have you thought about maybe a telescoping pole (like an old car antenna) using an endless (continuous) servo?
Old 05-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Tech Adept

Tamiyas The Frog had metal antenna for this purpose. Fiberglas rods like used for driveway markers are springy and strong.
Love to see your end result and your design process....
Old 08-13-2015, 04:18 AM
Tech Rookie

For anyone that was curious, for my project I decided that I was going to do a retake on the flip lid concept. Although some promising ideas were suggested like the power antenna and the fixed antenna, they weren't able to bring the success I was looking for (as i found out through trying them). The power antenna was not able to flip the car all the way over, only onto its side, even after fiddling with the shape of the antenna. The fixed antenna was only able to reduce the likelihood of the car landing upside down, whereas I needed something I could be more confident in getting the job done. So after all this I realized there was still a significant amount of room for improvement on the original Flip-lid design. I focused on minimizing added weight, maximizing success rate, aesthetic appeal and robustness. Here is the final product.
Hopefully the link works.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

I've thought about this before, but since I only ever race my cars, there wouldn't be a point in pursuing it. They don't allow this sort of thing for racing. Racing is all I do. I thought about putting a solenoid on one side that would fire through a hole in the roof. Pretty sure I could make it work, but again, there wouldn't be much point in spending time on it, for me anyway.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Tried something like this a while ago. It was a spring loaded lid, servo released it. You had to drive it to pits to rearm it. Not very practical :-(
Old 08-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

I only use this car for bashing, so it works great for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.