Search

A few questions from a begineer!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:55 AM
Tech Rookie

A few questions from a begineer!

Hi All,

I should have my first R/C car today (A Schumacher Desert
Storm Off Roader) and have one or 2 questions.......

Is it safe to run the engine until the fuel runs out or should I be cutting it out before?

To use after run oil I gather all I need to do is remove the air intake filter and put a few drops in and turn the wheels a couple of times, is that correct??? (Do I need to wait until the engine is cool to do this or should it be done whilst it is hot/warm?

What should I use to clean the air intake filter?

Any other tips would be welcome!

Many thanks and sorry for my lack of knowledge as I`m new to this!! I mean TOTALLY new
Old 10-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not a nitro guys but....

If you finished for the day run the tank dry it won't hurt your engine and is actually better because it will get all of the fuel out of the engine. If you leave fuel in the engine it will make the engine deteriorate(sp?) faster.

I'm not sure when your supposed to put in the oil but if you wait for it too cool down it won't do any damage. I think your supposed to put a few drops in the glow plug hole as well as the carb.

I know that nitro can be used to clean the filters but I think your supposed to oil it after cleaning.

Have fun with your truck.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

it does not hurt to run the tank dry that I know of....

for after run oil, I usually wait until the engine is cool enough for me to touch with my fingers, and then put a few drops in the intake (Carb), which you take off the filter to do, and also take out the glow plug and drop a few drops in the engine itself, as that is the part you would worry about rusting the most....also, after you put the oil in and put everything back on, turn over the engine a few times with NO fuel in the tank, or you can just turn the flywheel...this gets the oil down in the working parts...

Old 10-10-2002, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

and on your question about the filter..you can use your fuel to clean it, along with some water...but remember, if you do use water, wait for it to completely dry before putting it back on...dont want to suck any water into the engine...put a few drops of afterrun oil on the filter, it will help collect the dirt/dust...
Old 10-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For the air filter you can also get some spray on oil. Just wash the filter w/ water and let dry over night, then put the oil on.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

i also have a question about after-run oil. how often do i have to use it? if i run every weekend, do i still need after-run oil? or is it only used for long-time storage? thanks for any info
Old 10-10-2002, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You should use it every time you run your car.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice guys!

One last question.......

When refueling do I need to switch off the engine or can I just pop the fuel cap and top up and close it again?

Thanks again people.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

SteveA: thanks

sfxpete: you can refuel with the engine running. but in most cases, it is better to let the engine cool down before running again. on the other hand, some nitro races run continously for an hour. it really depends on how they tune the engine and sponsored racers have engines to spare. i guess you can run for about 10 - 15 minutes (2 to 3 fuel stops if your tank lasts 5 minutes per fill-up) then let the engine cool down.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Running the tank dry

Good practice is not to completely dry up the tank. Generally, it shouldn't harm your engine if it's tuned correctly or rich. However, if your tuning is on the lean side, it might blow the glow plug and don't know what else.

A quote from Paris Racing homepage:

"Will it hurt my engine to run it out of fuel:

My opinion is if your engine was tuned correctly, to start with it will not harm it running out of fuel!

I have done this hundreds of times with no damage even in our killer engines.

If just before running out of fuel the car was tuned:

1} Tuned Slightly rich, it will speed up for a brief moment just before it dies as you pass through the “Ideal performance” mixture stage.

2} Tuned for ideal performance, it will fall off in power just before it dies as it passes through the too lean stage.

3} Tuned too lean to start with, it will bog down noticeably and may blow the plug as it pass though the “way to lean you just screwed up stage”.

This can cause some damage to the piston and sleeve if the element wire breaks and falls in to the engine.

However, the brief lean moment should not hurt the bearings, bushings, rod, crank etc. if you’re using high quality fuel [especially a high castor blend like Bluethunder race formula]"

Go to www.parisracing.com for more details. Ron Paris is a nitro legend, FYI.