Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC Sponsorships?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Default RC Sponsorships?

Yes, I have a Racers-Edge Pro4-Enduro 4x4 and I was wondering if their are any sponsorships right now that're allowing "Rookies" like me inside. I'm looking for a tire sponsorship "Slicks for Clay" and bodies and accessories and what not. I compete at NewRed Hobbies.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No, just no.

SMDH
Old 01-25-2015, 10:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wartez
Yes, I have a Racers-Edge Pro4-Enduro 4x4 and I was wondering if their are any sponsorships right now that're allowing "Rookies" like me inside. I'm looking for a tire sponsorship "Slicks for Clay" and bodies and accessories and what not. I compete at NewRed Hobbies.
Not likely for a RC sponsorship. There are however, other ways of sponsorship such as local pizza place or car dealerships etc. When my son raced Karts we got sponsors like that. The RC sponsored drivers are sponsored for a reason other than advertising. JMHO good luck
Old 01-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Not going to happen. You will get sponsored because your passion and love for the sport will show at the track. It will take atleast a few years to establish yourself as a "brand".

Race for a few years, represent yourself well and become a reliable face at your local track and be helpful to other racers. Go to national events to get your name and face out there. It has taken me 13 years to get into the position I am in. Build your resume with races of a regional level or higher then start sending it to the smaller companies. They are more likely to sponsor you after a few years than the larger companies. It usually is pretty hard to get into the larger companies, they almost always come to you.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

This was posted on a UK forum by someone a few years ago, but I'm sure the same still applies, and in the US.

Skiddins

I feel compelled to post these comments after a number of things I have read both in this and other forums and received via email or post.

During most weeks I receive quite a number of applications in one form or another from people asking for sponsorship. Unfortunately, most if not of all of these are so poorly thought out, prepared and presented, that they don't get past the first viewing!

I also feel very disappointed at the attitudes that seems to be present in a lot of these "applications", the most disturbing ones being this feeling that "I deserve it" or "as I already use your product I think you should sponsor me"! And these come from both the up and coming club driver and also more experienced drivers that really should know a lot better. I will tell you now that prima donnas, proven or otherwise, are just not welcome, in any sport/activity, at least not by potential sponsors.

I get the distinct impression that most people seem to think that this is just a route for a "cheap" supply of parts etc, well it most definitely is not and if that is what you think then do not bother even applying! Being sponsored is a very important relationship between the driver and the sponsor no matter what the level or activity.

I will quickly add that this is NOT an open invitation to anyone to apply for sponsorship, it is simply a quick guide to what you should consider even before making one.

So, what is sponsorship.......
It is an informal relationship between a supplier and a driver that will be beneficial to both parties, and this is true no matter what the sport or activity! Ultimately drivers like to win races, and if this happens sponsors will always like to see their products used by winners, but winning is not the be all and end all of the relationship, something I think many "applicants" really do need to consider. Being a winner does not guarantee being sponsored, likewise not being a winner will not work against you either!

If you want your application to be read, let alone taken seriously you need to consider the following:

Does the person you are approaching actually know you, if not you are going to have to tell them as much as possible about yourself and your background.

Can you commit, do you really have the time and will to dedicate to the sport, most "team" drivers do a lot more racing than your average club guy.
It takes time to build a working relationship, sponsors like to do this over time, if you think this means one season or series you are badly mistaken. The best drivers and sponsor relationships are the long term ones that last for years.....regularly changing your allegiance is not good for your credibility!

Do you know the potential sponsors business, products and people, do some research, show some genuine interest and knowledge about them. Just remember the sponsor is taking a gamble on you. Can you convey this and your background in such a way that the reader of your application will be interested in following it up.

What can you do in return for the sponsor in return for their support.
Are you presentable, realistic and reliable, not just in your racing but also your attitude. Do you carry any personal baggage, if so let them know up front, do not try to hide it as it will eventually come out and will weaken your credibility.

Remember that as a sponsored driver, you are in essence a representative of the sponsor 24/7, whether you like it or not, and all sponsors would be looking for the absolute highest standards of presentation and especially how you conduct yourself both on and importantly off the track, even in public forums such as this. If this is too high a price then don't waste yours or their time applying.

There really are not that many fully sponsored true "team Drivers", ones who get everything for "nothing", but there are lots who are "supported" at one level or another which is a different issue. Look at the profile and the number of supported drivers of a sponsor, do you really fit in.

You will be surprised at the number emails/post etc I get that are just simply not good enough and frankly not worth reading. Just remember unless you have been specifically asked to make an application, your approach will be unsolicited, and as such the recipient does not have to respond or even acknowledge it, courtesy would say that I normally would try to, but being so busy this is just not always possible, and when you get the number of emails I do that just say something like:
"Hi, I regularly win the XX final at my local club and think I could do better if you would sponsor me............let me know."

I think you not only get the idea, but also know exactly what will happen to this email. So next time you send one off, unsolicited, put yourself in the recipients position, would YOU have given it a second thought yourself as it was presented?

Remember this is a business to the sponsor and they cannot afford to be totally altruistic, be realistic in exactly what sponsorship is about - increasing the awareness and hopefully sales of a product/brand, nothing more, nothing less, anyone who says otherwise is just kidding both you and themselves.

Having read some of the posts made in here, and in other forums, by people who wish or claim to be team drivers, all I can say is that they are either deluding themselves a lot of the time or they are not going to retain that status for much longer.

At any meeting I go to, I am always looking at drivers, at all levels. I watch them both on and off the track, I follow their progress not only during a meeting but also a series.........I am approachable, but I do not discuss business or sponsorship with a stranger at a meeting. Introduce yourself by all means and see what develops, but do not expect anything to result from just one single approach.

I hope that helps and has not put you off too much...............
Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm not sponsored myself, but a lot of the guys I race with are, both locally and in other provinces. A big part of being sponsored is being approachable to people who look up to you (might be using the same chassis or electronics) for guidance and assistance. We have guys in our WCICS series that will literally drop what they are doing to help you trouble shoot an issue, talk setup theory, offer advice, or just to chat. That goes a long way and really makes a good name for the company's that sponsor them.

If you can't offer that sort of commitment to your fellow racing peers, then you shouldn't be sponsored as you are in it solely for yourself and not the hobby as a whole.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Asking about a sponsorship for offroad tires in an onroad section probably isn't going to get you very far.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you have to ask for a sponsorship, chances are your not ready for one... However that doesn't seem to be the norm these days unfortunately.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Seems to me that they got plenty of info for this thread to die as the "newbie" could be cut some slack.

Some younger racers are curious, anyways keep having fun bud
Old 01-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
No, just no.

SMDH
LOL!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gooba
Asking about a sponsorship for offroad tires in an onroad section probably isn't going to get you very far.
Quite right, & as such this is going to the Rookie section(MUCH more appropriate place for these kinds of questions)...
Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Sponsorship is overrated, if anything it restricts the racer to a certain brand / product and I think it also takes the fun out of it when your race results have an effect on these commercial transactions, and racing isn't something you want to be there so much as you have to be for.

Me? Never been sponsored, never chased it and would likely turn it down if someone were so silly to offer it. I like to be able to give an honest opinion, and not cash for comments.