Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
newbie touring car driver with 101 questions >

newbie touring car driver with 101 questions

newbie touring car driver with 101 questions

Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default newbie touring car driver with 101 questions

Good morning all, I have just got back into touring cars after about 7 years out. So much has changed and is so involved now, hence the reason for some help.

I am running a schumacher mi4cx seems to be a great litle car (just a shame about the idiot holding the remote)

I have a hobbywing stock blue esc, struggling to get that set up firstly, I run foward and reverse but the brake always seems to be on, I do have the lcd program card so someone may be able to shed some light on which settings need to be altered.

have also found my esc interferes with my steering servo, have got a replacement coming to sort that out.

As for gearing how does it all work now, what does a high spur gear with high pinion do and same with lower and in between aswell.

I'm running turnigy 2s 5000 lipo batterys, seem to be going well for a beginner anyway.

anyone can offer help and even some advise on how to improve on things not listed would be perfect.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:10 AM
Tech Addict

what motor you running?
bigger spur= lower ratio=more acceleration less speed
bigger pinion=higher ratio=higher top speed but longer to accelerate
going opposite way on the does the opposite
Old 01-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Runnin a hobbywing xerun 13.5t motor. Cheers for that, will try find out the standard sizes and work from that
Old 01-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by daisymay View Post
Good morning all, I have just got back into touring cars after about 7 years out. So much has changed and is so involved now, hence the reason for some help.

I am running a schumacher mi4cx seems to be a great litle car (just a shame about the idiot holding the remote)

I have a hobbywing stock blue esc, struggling to get that set up firstly, I run foward and reverse but the brake always seems to be on, I do have the lcd program card so someone may be able to shed some light on which settings need to be altered.

have also found my esc interferes with my steering servo, have got a replacement coming to sort that out.

As for gearing how does it all work now, what does a high spur gear with high pinion do and same with lower and in between aswell.

I'm running turnigy 2s 5000 lipo batterys, seem to be going well for a beginner anyway.

anyone can offer help and even some advise on how to improve on things not listed would be perfect.

With regard to your gearing depending on your track and FDR of 4.0 is a good starting point run for 5 mins test motor temp under 75 deg Celsius is good but some motors can go higher but will reduce your life span of the motor, you may also need to run a fan to keep motor cooler if it runs too hot. look for a gear chart to suit your car check spur/pinion for 48 pitch or 64 pitch then cross reference on the chart.
If your brakes seem to be always on check your transmitter settings your trim for brake may need adjusting.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Got another questiom, what do people prefer to run on carpet? Foams or slicks? If you have slicks do you use tyre warmers? Thanks
Old 01-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It depends on the track you're running at. There still may be some that run foams & rubber slicks(separate classes for each, naturally), but most of the tracks I know of & have raced on now exclusively use rubber(& almost all if not all of them have chosen a spec premounted tire, so there's no voodoo or secrets on tire compounds or insert flavor of the week, everyone has the same thing(even playing field, which if you think about it is more like full scale racing, most full scale racers have some kind of spec to follow, so a driver won't win because of a superior tire, but because of a better setup & better driving). Best thing to do if you're unsure is to talk to the guys at the track you intend to race at, & they should be most helpful in pointing you to the tires you need.
Now, about the speed control you have, you said it's a Hobbywing(& they're a good choice, I have a few of them myself, very happy overall), if you could tell us which one exactly, we might be better able to help you set that up to your liking.....
Old 02-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daisymay View Post
Got another questiom, what do people prefer to run on carpet? Foams or slicks? If you have slicks do you use tyre warmers? Thanks
We still run Foam tires at our track. They are great for Traction, but take a little maintenance to keep them optimal. ( Trueing )

As for Slicks, see what other at the track reccomend, as they might have a spec tire you might not know about.

As for the brake, check the Drag Brake setting on your LCD box. It might be set high. This will act as follows: Going down the straight you let off the trigger and the car automatically brakes.

You can dial this down or completely out on that speed control. I myself do not care for drag brake as my driving style consists of smooth flowing momentum. Also a reason I run a Center and front one-way.