Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Losi 8ight-T 2.0, nitro tuning problems. >

Losi 8ight-T 2.0, nitro tuning problems.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight-T 2.0, nitro tuning problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 8ight-T 2.0, nitro tuning problems.

Hi all, I resently purchase a Losi 8-t 2.0 second hand. It's in great condition, running a NovaRossi Nero 21. motor. I am having some trouble tuning it though. The first thing i have tried is restoring it to factory settings as per the NovaRossi website, but its still running terrible. It idles for about 30 secs then dies. Secondly if I manage to get it idling by keeping the accelerator on, at full throttle it cuts out. Anyone have suggestions for tuning this beast?

Are all nitro's this hard to tune? Should I just convert it to brushless?

Any help would be great.

Mark.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miran007
Hi all, I resently purchase a Losi 8-t 2.0 second hand. It's in great condition, running a NovaRossi Nero 21. motor. I am having some trouble tuning it though. The first thing i have tried is restoring it to factory settings as per the NovaRossi website, but its still running terrible. It idles for about 30 secs then dies. Secondly if I manage to get it idling by keeping the accelerator on, at full throttle it cuts out. Anyone have suggestions for tuning this beast?

Are all nitro's this hard to tune? Should I just convert it to brushless?

Any help would be great.

Mark.
Nitro vehicles are just different. I think that's why I love them so much more than electric. It adds a couple more elements to the game that others don't have to worry about. Are they hard to tune....yes and no. Yes if you don't know what you are doing, no if you do.

So on to you issues.... Lets assume the motor is in good shape and not worn out. If it is, you will probably get so frustrated and throw it off a cliff

You put the needles back at the factory setting with is great. The needles at this setting are on the rich side and that is probably why it is not running well. You want to make all your adjustments when the engine has been running for a couple minutes so it is nice and warm.

So lets start at the lower end of the RPMs. Adjust you idle screw so you have a nice clean sounding ( its not drowning itself or has a high sounding rev to it). Get the engine nice and warm and make sure the idle stays here. It may be a tad different from when you first fire it up to where the engine is warm.

After the idle is set, lets adjust the low end. Keep in mind that sometimes when you mess with the low end needle, the idle will change and you will have to readjust it. Put the truck on the ground and run it about clearing out the engine and pipe. Then stop it next to you and let it idle for 8-10 seconds. Then drive off. If it spits and sputters or flat out dies, you need to lean out (screw in) the low end an hour or 2. Do this till the low end is good. It should have a very slight hesitation and then take off with good power. And by slight, I mean almost un noticeable. If it gets up and goes like a banshee, you may need to richen it an hour. Don't forget to check the idle...

Once the idle and low end are good, move on to the high side, slowly drive it around and get on it in a nice straight line going full throttle. Keep a close eye on the exhaust. You should be seeing a good solid stream of smoke. Also use your ears. It should be a nice and crisp tone. If it sounds like it is struggling and drowning, you need to lean out the top end ( main needle). Continue doing this until you have a good sound, a good smoke trail and good power. If it gets too lean, you will see it almost fall on its face ( slow down suddenly after it was running good) and you will need to richen the top end an hour.

Then go back and recheck you idle and low end. You may or may not need to re adjust them a hair.

Remember, a good sound and good smoke out the exhaust will lead to a good performing engine.

Nitro engines are not made to idle for long periods of time. If you find yourself flipped over, give it a little gas and rev it up about every 5 seconds. This cleans the unused fuel and oil out and keeps em running So if you are sitting there for 30 seconds at idle, the engine will load up with oil and unused fuel and die which is somewhat normal.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

There is an extremely useful book called the Ultimate nitro engine Guide 200 pages and is very easy to read aimed at the first time owners of nitro.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Do a search on this site for the 'the engine tuning bible' on this site. It should help you learn how to tune it.