Wiki Posts
Search

New To Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New To Racing

Been bashing for the last year, built a Tamiya kit, doing TONS of research, etc...I finally feel ready to race (dirt outside, more of a clay hard packed inside). Below is what I have on order. I'm not necessarily asking for opinions on brand (although feel free to suggest), just want to know from you racing veterans what else I might need. What's in your goody bag? lol Any aluminum parts for the B5 I should consider? In other words if go to the track for the first time what do I need so the vets don't laugh at me..lol And yes I'm on a budget to start.

-J concepts Double Dee’s Rear Green (outdoor dirt right?)
-J concepts Bar Codes Front Green (outdoor dirt right?)
-Speed Passion Reventon Club Race V3 17.5 motor/esc combo
-Radio Link RC4G 2.4 4 channel Transmitter/receiver
-Team Associated B5 rear motor (anything special I should get for this kit build?)
-32t pinion robinson racing
-High torque metal digital servo (haven't picked this up yet - any good ones for around $15?)

Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

That speed passion combo isn't great, or so u have heard. To be competitive you really want to pick out a higher end adjustable timing motor. For an esc the just stock is great.
You are probably looking at 30-60 bucks for a servo as well, most anything else is either to slow, or too weak, remember to pick up a good set of tools too. MIp make great hex drivers. But drivers aren't as important, so any brand should work, even just the little cross wrench the kit comes with.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
That speed passion combo isn't great, or so u have heard. To be competitive you really want to pick out a higher end adjustable timing motor. For an esc the just stock is great.
You are probably looking at 30-60 bucks for a servo as well, most anything else is either to slow, or too weak, remember to pick up a good set of tools too. MIp make great hex drivers. But drivers aren't as important, so any brand should work, even just the little cross wrench the kit comes with.
Thanks Panda. You've actually commented on a few of my posts. Thanks. As far as the motor/esc you think the speed passions 'R' or 'S' is a little better? Those are just under $100. Actually i have a good tool set/hex drivers from building a Tamiya buggy kit (TT-02B - loved it - looking forward to building the B5).
Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

You can get the hobbywig just stock and almost any motor used for around 100 dollars.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

In stock you'll need a 69-72 tooth spur gear. I'm not sure what comes in the kit.
You'll also want a range of pinions, probably 30-35.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Before spending the money on tyres, go to the track you'll be racing at and go speak with the faster guys. They should be more than welcoming and happy to point you in the right direction.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RichD
Before spending the money on tyres, go to the track you'll be racing at and go speak with the faster guys. They should be more than welcoming and happy to point you in the right direction.
I have a 3.0 Losi 1/8 scale sitting in a closet right now without any dirt on it or tires because I want to know what the faster guys are running before blowing $50 on a non-competitive set. you gotta get to the track first and find out what works and doesn't. It's fine to read about it but different tracks do different things. When I moved out here there was a steep learning curve from where I was before. Different tracks, rules etc. Don't expect to run at the front for the first while and don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how dumb you think they are. The only dumb questions are the ones you know the answers to already.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Although I personally don't like SP, I think the Reventon series is pretty nice. It's definitely a good value ESC that you can pickup from the LHS. If you don't mind, could you disclose the budget you had in mind? I don't know anything about that radio, but if you get into this seriously, I'm guessing this will be on the list to replace sooner than later.

Originally Posted by RichD
You should also note what they are driving, although it may seem like a RM may work better in these conditions, there may be a lot of B5M's that are working there, maybe not.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

BTW I also have a B5 which I race indoors. The hobby shop was able to get me an ORCA esc and 7.5 motor combo for a bit above $200. 7.5 on carpet Indoors is too much in my opinion so maybe a 13.5 would do nicely
Old 01-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

I p[personally like the Speed Passion allot. My boys and I have three Speed Passion 17.5 Combo's and have had no problems at all with them. I think you should invest a little more in the Servo though as it will make a big difference. Check out Savox. Batteries and charger are very important. Spend what you can on a good charger and you'll be better off in the long run. HiTec chargers are awesome.