Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help with Chargers and Batteries >

Help with Chargers and Batteries

Help with Chargers and Batteries

Old 12-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool Help with Chargers and Batteries

I decided to get into the hobby of Short Course 4x4 Trucks with my son. I am getting him a Losi TEN-SCTE 4x4 RTR and I got myself the Tekno SCT410 with a Tekin Pro4 4600 and RX8 ESC. I have read enough information about chargers and batteries to make my head spin. I was hoping to find someone that has a similar set-up to give me some advice.

I need a charger that will charge multiple batteries at a rate that will give us more time on the track with less time in the pits. I understand that we will need some down time to allow the motor to cool down. I also have no clue what type of LiPos to get for both of us.

So my questions are as follows:

What type of batteries should I get for a mixture of bashing and racing?

Am I better off getting higher mAh batteries for more run time or lower ones for quicker charge time?

Should I get a quad charger or 2 single chargers with higher watts and higher max amps?

Am I better of getting DC charger since it seems to give higher charging capabilities?

If you have any suggestions on a certain brand of batteries and charger that will not break the bank since I will need multiple ones, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

For batteries,
Vant: http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=4859

SMC: http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ory&path=67_97

Pro-Match: http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...prod=2S650070C

You didn't say if you wanted cheap for the charger, but at the high end the ICharger 406 duo, 308 duo are probably one of the very best. Progressive is said to have excellent service. http://www.progressiverc.com/
For something less expensive, look at getting a couple of ICharger 106B+ from them. Both are DC only and for higher amp charging, DC is the way to go, as the built in power supplies in most chargers can not supply the needed power.

For a power supply, keep an eye out for converted server power supplies. There are a few listed in the classifieds.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Rookie

I was thinking of getting a charger that will last as I would not want to upgrade in the near future. Do you know if these chargers have a storage mode? If they do not, is it that a big deal or do I just discharge them to the desired voltage? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MentallyDazed View Post
I was thinking of getting a charger that will last as I would not want to upgrade in the near future. Do you know if these chargers have a storage mode? If they do not, is it that a big deal or do I just discharge them to the desired voltage? Thanks for your help.
There are 2 schools of thought here.

1. Put lipo's in storage mode at the end of the day to get it balanced.
2. Just go run the pack a bit.

I believe in the first one but I know a lot of people who just go by the second. Their lipo's look and run just fine.

When it comes to storage, many chargers skimp on discharge wattage. It was the biggest reason I dumped the HitecX4. I now have a TrakPower VR-1 that has a 80W discharge rate. I'd guess the iChargers have it beat though. Cost a lot more too though.

For a 2S battery, 8.4V is fully charged. Voltage / Wattage = Max amperage draw. So if a charger advertises 2A but only has 5W, 8.4/5=1.68A is the most you'll draw.

It'll take an hour to put it into storage mode on a full pack. Of course you could go run it for 5-10 minutes then storage it but I once broke on the first or second lap of my main and had to do this.

The TrakPower charger has a max of 10A/80W. I can storage a full pack in about 20 minutes now.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Chargers

Not that much difference in a budget charger and expensive charger unless u r anal. 30amp charge rate for expensive chargers is illegal to charge at for most tracks.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KyoshoSC View Post
Not that much difference in a budget charger and expensive charger unless u r anal. 30amp charge rate for expensive chargers is illegal to charge at for most tracks.
The discharge power was worth the "upgrade" to me. I'll pay for something that save me time when I can.

I agree that I don't notice a much of a difference in charging capabilities since I only charge a 2S at 1C.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

The number of choices can definitely make your head explode. I have tried a few less expensive chargers and while they did work I found that my batteries weren't lasting as long as they should. For batteries I would definitely use LiPo's with a min of 5000 mah. For the charger I personally say spend the money and get something decent. I use a DC Hitec X2-400. It has all the bells and whistles and charges two packs at once and can charge at 20 amps which is overkill right now but with technology constantly changing I wanted this one to last. Hitec also makes a nice AC/DC multi charger that will do 4 packs (less amps but should be more then fine for what you're describing) and you don't need to buy a separate power supply which a lot of guys use and love at the track. Good luck and stick with the hobby with the kids.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What about this one? It's all in one instead of needing an additional power supply?

Graupner Polaron EX Combo Charger, Silver Graupner

I'm going through this same learning curve, the C rate, charge rate, and or charge at 10% of the Mah rating... It's stressing me the hell out! And why in the heck isn't sunch info in one place stickies at the top along with other questions like this here in the rookie zone?
Old 12-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Any suggested good reads on lipo batteries and charges?
Old 12-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

im starting a thread about suggestions for batteries and chargers so that people stop posting a new thread each time they need advice instead all the advice is in one thread and ask specific questions there. just posted it in rookie zone
Old 12-27-2014, 04:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by smurph74 View Post
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
The link is a couple of years old, but has very good info on LiPo batteries and what the numbers mean.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by smurph74 View Post
Here's another one:
http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide
Old 12-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Great articles everyone... Got up early Saturday morning just reading away...I feel I now have a much better understanding of these new batteries.

Of course I still have MUCH to learn but I now understand how these babies charge....

Thanks so much !
Old 12-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Definitely get a AC/DC charger that can do a min of two packs but 4 is better. I like the HiTec Chargers a lot. For the LiPo packs a 5000mah 2S pack is a great all around pack for bashing and entry level racing.