Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What 2 buy my son???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default What 2 buy my son???

After years of not being into racing, I have decided to get back in. I know what I am buying for myself (Tekno SCT410 with all the fun stuff) But I was thinking of buying my son something similar for Xmas. More on the line of RTR to see if he likes it. My thoughts are that I buy an RTR. If he likes it and wants to race, I will spend whatever to upgrade and make it race worthy. I just don't want to dump $1K on something, and he decide it's something he doesn't have any interest in at all even though I would end up with it as a 2nd car! hahhaa What would be the best RTR that would be upgradeable to racing? I was thinking 1/10 scale stuff. 2wd or 4wd. I just would love to have my son at the track with me. I think this would be a great thing for he and I to have some father son times!
Old 12-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Personally I'd find another SCT410 that someone is selling RTR here. Downside would be cost, but there are some pretty good deals on the classifieds. Upsides, only one vehicle to stock parts for, SCT410 is durable as it gets, you know how he is improving as he is driving the same thing you are, you wont have to sell the RTR in a month from now and then buy a SCT410. Just my .02 as I bought a Slash for my son to start with, lasted for a couple months and then I gave it away and got another SCT410 like his dad has.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hoyt1967
Personally I'd find another SCT410 that someone is selling RTR here. Downside would be cost, but there are some pretty good deals on the classifieds. Upsides, only one vehicle to stock parts for, SCT410 is durable as it gets, you know how he is improving as he is driving the same thing you are, you wont have to sell the RTR in a month from now and then buy a SCT410. Just my .02 as I bought a Slash for my son to start with, lasted for a couple months and then I gave it away and got another SCT410 like his dad has.
I was thinkin that. Guess I was looking for him to have that Immediate gratification when opening up the box on Xmas and being able to drive it. If he decides that he likes it, I don't mind spending the money on the same truck as mine. Plus I plan on him helping me build the Tekno. He is very very into cars. Has an engineering mind. And I truly believe that he will fall in love with the hobby. Just didn't want to spend another $1200 right off the bat to find out that he isn't into it. If he gets into it, I will upgrade everything I can on his truck, and or just buy him a new Tekno. Having 2 would have great benefits though. For me especially if he didn't like it. LOL Thanks for your reply hoyt1967.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Yep, no problem. A 4x4 slash is a great RTR, get some rpm arms, maybe a set of rear hubs and he will have a blast.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Initiate

What about a Hyper TT RTR from OFNA? Won't break the bank, and would be inifitely upgradable.

http://www.eofna.com/OFNA-110-Hyper-...gy_p_5062.html

Kids love Truggies.

EDIT: I have coupn codes if you go that way. Just got their December newsletter.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shadows_Cord
What about a Hyper TT RTR from OFNA? Won't break the bank, and would be inifitely upgradable.
In the context of the OP wanting to have a car his son could race if he wants, that one is an orphan - there's no organized racing class it fits into.

I would second the opinion to just buy a second SCT410 in this case.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MarkA
In the context of the OP wanting to have a car his son could race if he wants, that one is an orphan - there's no organized racing class it fits into.

I would second the opinion to just buy a second SCT410 in this case.
I don't keep up on racing classes. I swore they raced 1/10 truggies. My mistake.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shadows_Cord
I don't keep up on racing classes. I swore they raced 1/10 truggies. My mistake.
The 1/10th stadium truck class has a somewhat similar appearance but those are a bit different dimensionally and the big separator is, always 2wd.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

why not let him run your car? Then if he likes it get the 2nd car.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks to all that replied! After looking at all the reply's, I had it in my head that I was going to get him the Tekno SCT410. Unfortunately,.......After fighting with my wife over what I wanted to buy him,....She said that she didn't want to spend that much more on him since she had already spend a ridiculous amount already on other things! So I got her talked into the Losi SCT22 RTC! And I assume that he will end up with my Tekno sooner or later. I am sure I will end up buying another 4wd in the very near future because I know what will happen. He will end up wanting to race the Tekno and I will end up racing the Losi. Which means, I will end up having to buy another 4wd truck for me sooner or later! LOL If anything, we will have trucks for 2 different race classes.

Again,...thanks you all who replied!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Rookie

I wish I had a dad like you growing up lol
Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

my son and I grew up together with RC, (although i do not think either of us made it to adulthood) he always got my hand-me-downs so I had an excuse to upgrade.

Originally Posted by SLICK2
Thanks to all that replied! After looking at all the reply's, I had it in my head that I was going to get him the Tekno SCT410. Unfortunately,.......After fighting with my wife over what I wanted to buy him,....She said that she didn't want to spend that much more on him since she had already spend a ridiculous amount already on other things! So I got her talked into the Losi SCT22 RTC! And I assume that he will end up with my Tekno sooner or later. I am sure I will end up buying another 4wd in the very near future because I know what will happen. He will end up wanting to race the Tekno and I will end up racing the Losi. Which means, I will end up having to buy another 4wd truck for me sooner or later! LOL If anything, we will have trucks for 2 different race classes.

Again,...thanks you all who replied!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I don't run 4x class, but traxxas has good support, parts are at your local hobby shop. Some tracks carry traxxas, if you're a beginner you're going to crash a lot. Traxxas replacement parts are cheaper then Losi, or Tekno. When your son gets good or really into the sport you can sell for a decent price because non racers/bashers know traxxas for their durability.

My opinion.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SeriousRX
I wish I had a dad like you growing up lol
Yeah,......ME 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Wade Rowley
my son and I grew up together with RC, (although i do not think either of us made it to adulthood) he always got my hand-me-downs so I had an excuse to upgrade.
I'm sure my son will be kicking my ass! I can see an upgrade coming for myself soon! hahaha

Originally Posted by Jashields76
I don't run 4x class, but traxxas has good support, parts are at your local hobby shop. Some tracks carry traxxas, if you're a beginner you're going to crash a lot. Traxxas replacement parts are cheaper then Losi, or Tekno. When your son gets good or really into the sport you can sell for a decent price because non racers/bashers know traxxas for their durability.

My opinion.

I looked at Traxxas for him. All our local shops around here are heavy Losi, Tekno, and AE for parts. Very little Traxxas. Even if parts are a little more than Traxxas, Its not that much more. Not worried about that aspect of it that much.

Thanks for your reply

SLICK
Old 12-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

good idea to get something that has parts support in your area....sounds like a great starting point with the sct, pretty cool dad there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.