Search

came back after 20 years away, here's the info I found useful

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Default came back after 20 years away, here's the info I found useful

I put it all together in one place:

http://pphaneuf.github.io/rccars/

I'll be adding a few more pages (a bit on speedos and motors, maybe body shells), but it's got the bulk of it now.

Let me know what you think!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Thumbs up Excellent write-up

Like you I took almost 25 years off form racing RC cars and jumped back into it this past spring, and was almost overwhelmed with all of the new technology available these days. Excellent job and lots of good info!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Like you, I am rejuvinating my old RC10DS this winter and was astonished how much has changed since I bought it about 13 years ago. Your comment, "almost everything changed (motor and battery technology we could only dream of!)" cracks me up! Our small group included one individual who had a programmable ESC in his car with a laptop he could use to program the throttle and braking patterns on the fly. At the time, this was lunacy! Now...it's expected...

I bought the RC10DS since it is based on such a common core platform. Now, I am hoping it isn't TOO outdated to update!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, MPisterzi!

Wow, I didn't even know about the RC10DS, as, um, it was right after my time, but does look a bit like how we modified them for carpet oval racing! What I do find utterly ridiculous is how the product picture for it on the Team Associated web site has it with... a mechanical speed controller!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
Thanks, MPisterzi!

Wow, I didn't even know about the RC10DS, as, um, it was right after my time, but does look a bit like how we modified them for carpet oval racing! What I do find utterly ridiculous is how the product picture for it on the Team Associated web site has it with... a mechanical speed controller!
So, that was the intention of the "DS" model - it was a regular RC10 chassis with "Team Associated" approved parts to lower it for on-road use. They put it in an Near-RTR box with a Merc or Mustang body & called it good.

Then they threw in a terrible MSC to make it completely uncompetitive and downright-scary!

I have some pictures in the "If your new and want to say hi, post it here" but apparently can't link them, yet.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jwinker
Like you, I am rejuvinating my old RC10DS this winter and was astonished how much has changed since I bought it about 13 years ago. Your comment, "almost everything changed (motor and battery technology we could only dream of!)" cracks me up! Our small group included one individual who had a programmable ESC in his car with a laptop he could use to program the throttle and braking patterns on the fly. At the time, this was lunacy! Now...it's expected...

I bought the RC10DS since it is based on such a common core platform. Now, I am hoping it isn't TOO outdated to update!
I put a brushless system with a lipo in my old RC10 and it runs amazing! If you decide to update your DS you're gonna love it! Would recommend upgrading the steering to the aluminum bellcranks too. I used the JConcepts set.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MPisterzi
I put a brushless system with a lipo in my old RC10 and it runs amazing! If you decide to update your DS you're gonna love it! Would recommend upgrading the steering to the aluminum bellcranks too. I used the JConcepts set.
I'm setting the first bar extremely low - like "I want to run for 10 minutes without recharge." Once I get to that point, I'm considering going to things like aluminum bellcranks, beefing up the differential, and options like that. But "STAGE 2" I'm not looking for competitive, only looking for the road to competitive!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Gotcha! I did mine "just to see what happens". I don't race it, I just bring it along to run it for fun. You'll realize that a 10 minute run time is easily achievable as batteries and electronics have become much more efficient. Enjoy!!
Old 11-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Gotcha! I did mine "just to see what happens". I don't race it, I just bring it along to run it for fun. You'll realize that a 10 minute run time is easily achievable as batteries and electronics have become much more efficient. Enjoy!!
I'm racing with one battery! ONE BATTERY! You'd have told me that back in the days, I'd have laughed you out of the pit area...

It is slightly inconvenient, I think I'll get another one, but I'm still amazed it's possible at all.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

I'm racing with one battery! ONE BATTERY! You'd have told me that back in the days, I'd have laughed you out of the pit area...

It is slightly inconvenient, I think I'll get another one, but I'm still amazed it's possible at all.
HAHA!! Right!?? I have been utterly amazed at all of the technology that is available today. I also have been able to race on one battery, something that would have NEVER been possible back then. I remember having at least three batteries and two chargers just to make sure not to miss a heat due to a battery not being full charged. In those days you took one practice lap and shut your car off until just before the race started to conserve every bit of juice in the battery! Ahh, the good ol' days!!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:23 AM
Tech Addict

In those days you took one practice lap and shut your car off until just before the race started to conserve every bit of juice in the battery! Ahh, the good ol' days!!
Also, the gearing: I'd change pinion between the 3 minutes qualification and the 4 minutes finals, as in both case there was barely a few more laps of juice after the bell rang...

Or, too high a gearing on a small track would take away too much of your punch, as the stock motors weren't that torquey...

Now, you just gear for the temperature of the motor, the batteries last just fine, and the motors have all the torque you might want.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Also, the gearing: I'd change pinion between the 3 minutes qualification and the 4 minutes finals, as in both case there was barely a few more laps of juice after the bell rang...
I would have liked to have had that option, the rules in the stock class that we ran were fairly strict, didn't allow any changes. Everything was spec, 27T motors with 21T pinions? (I think can't really remember ), issued tires. Once your car was tech inspected and had the inspection stickers on it the only thing allowed was to change out the battery.

The first minute or so was a race to see who could go the slowest so that you would have enough battery left to finish the race!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for this. Have not been in the hobby in slightly longer and was only 12 or so at the time. So basically I'm starting from next to nothing. I'll take all the help I can get!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Good read!
Old 11-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Like many of you, I am also amazed at modern RC technology. I grew up on NiCds and mechanical speed controllers. The first RC car I ever drove was one my uncle put together. I still remember the Futaba radio which was literally a painted aluminum box with a knob on the front and a kludgy spring-loaded lever on the side for throttle. It worked OK though. I remember waiting what seemed like forever for the NiCds to charge so I could drive the car another 5 minutes.That was probably 30 years ago.

When I got my Slash Ultimate a couple of months ago, I was amazed at the speed, power and technology. Great stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.