Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
the seperation of race classes(ie: spt vs expt) >

the seperation of race classes(ie: spt vs expt)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the seperation of race classes(ie: spt vs expt)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 04:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default the seperation of race classes(ie: spt vs expt)

so I thought this would be the best place for this question..
at the local track I go to there is usually a sportsman class and expert class for different chassis, as long as the turn out is enough.
I guess im kind of but hurt with the current situation. I have been racing for about a year, I usually place in the a main of sportsman class sometimes I do really well and sometimes I blow it in the main. ive really been working on working up to expert because im frustrated with the hackers that sometimes race spt. well ive been told by a couple of people not to move up yet because id cause more traffic for them in expert I didn't like being told that, but recently a good hand full of people who are sometimes slower than myself sometimes faster have moved to the expert class, Im not sure how I should feel about this.. I obviously have little man syndrome and apparently something to prove or else this wouldn't bother me...but all jokes aside,
would it not be better to just have an open class? I assume 1/8 scale does it this way.. I want the a main to mean something to me and when I place 2nd or 3rd (especially after some bad luck like a marshall falling on my car when I havnt even wrecked lol) and then compare my times to expert I theoretically wouldn't finish last. what would you do? run spt till I win week after week?
or go ahead and jump to expert and try to run with big dogs?
Im more so concerned about progressing and being a faster driver so if I were to visit new tracks I could be a little more competitive or maybe try to run a big race in the future...
sorry for the long read thanks for the help

also just for a better comparison, my avg top 10 laps are around 2 secs slower a lap than the top 2 or 3 drivers, though they are stupid fast annnd sponsored by some top companys lemme know what yall think!
Old 11-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

What usually seperates the class like sportsman or novice from expert is consistency. While you may be able to lay down similar lap times to be a factor in the expert field, people in those classes can lay down consistent laps lap after lap, with few or no mistakes. It's not really about winning, it's about being consistent, with consistency comes the wins.

It sounds like you just need to practice a bit more. Once you do move up, it will be worth it.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

What's stopping you from signing up for expert now? Is it fellow racers telling you this or the RD/track staff?

What's the lap time for a fast guy? Being 2 seconds off a 30 second lap is a lot different than being 2 seconds off a 15 second lap.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastPIRATE
so I thought this would be the best place for this question..
at the local track I go to there is usually a sportsman class and expert class for different chassis, as long as the turn out is enough.
I guess im kind of but hurt with the current situation. I have been racing for about a year, I usually place in the a main of sportsman class sometimes I do really well and sometimes I blow it in the main. ive really been working on working up to expert because im frustrated with the hackers that sometimes race spt. well ive been told by a couple of people not to move up yet because id cause more traffic for them in expert I didn't like being told that, but recently a good hand full of people who are sometimes slower than myself sometimes faster have moved to the expert class, Im not sure how I should feel about this.. I obviously have little man syndrome and apparently something to prove or else this wouldn't bother me...but all jokes aside,
would it not be better to just have an open class? I assume 1/8 scale does it this way.. I want the a main to mean something to me and when I place 2nd or 3rd (especially after some bad luck like a marshall falling on my car when I havnt even wrecked lol) and then compare my times to expert I theoretically wouldn't finish last. what would you do? run spt till I win week after week?
or go ahead and jump to expert and try to run with big dogs?
Im more so concerned about progressing and being a faster driver so if I were to visit new tracks I could be a little more competitive or maybe try to run a big race in the future...
sorry for the long read thanks for the help

also just for a better comparison, my avg top 10 laps are around 2 secs slower a lap than the top 2 or 3 drivers, though they are stupid fast annnd sponsored by some top companys lemme know what yall think!
Short of a race director dictating what class you should run, you should participate in the class of your choice. Regardless of the class or type of racing in question, there are going to be situations where you'll impact someone else's finish, or someone else will impact yours. Simply put, things happen on the track, not all of which are desirable and only some of which will be to your favor. Allowing others to forecast potential race outcomes based on your participation and accepting those theoretical results as the truth might not be in your best interest. That said, you also need to truly look at your skill level as objectively as you can, and make an appropriate decision based on that assessment. If you're of the mindset that you want to compete with the better drivers AND you're committed to do what you can not to impact their level of enjoyment associated with the activity, it's time to make the move forward.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

If it isn't the RD, you should send out this article which cam out about a week ago and discusses this actual issue:
http://liverc.com/news/special_featu..._the_alphabet/
Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

It is a small track the fastest guys and theres only a couple this fast are doing 16s my ten lap avg is low 18s and pretty consistent with an ocasional 17.7 hero lap, whats keeping me from signing up now is criticism from some of the racers the race director is encourageing me to move forward but i really wanna make sure im up for it i know i wont win anytime soon but really wanna get faster thats all i care about ill check out that article now
Old 11-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds like you should move up. Talk to the RD to see if you can move back down if you run a qualifier and don't like it. I've stopped caring what others think. I'm a courteous driver that will get out of the way of faster drivers but that doesn't meant I don't belong with them.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is a small track the fastest guys and theres only a couple this fast are doing 16s my ten lap avg is low 18s and pretty consistent with an ocasional 17.7 hero lap, whats keeping me from signing up now is criticism from some of the racers the race director is encourageing me to move forward but i really wanna make sure im up for it i know i wont win anytime soon but really wanna get faster thats all i care about ill check out that article now
You'll get faster when you start racing against faster people. If the RD is encouraging you to move up, do it. If the fast guys are that good they should be able to get around you without a problem, if they can't then they aren't as fast or as good as they think they are.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Based on these lap times, you'll most likely finish 2 laps down to the leader over 6 minutes. That's well within the realm of being fast enough not to have a significant impact on the overall pace.

Concerning the criticism of others - unless those criticizing you are paying your entry fees, you should run whichever class you want.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys for the constructive criticism, i know when someone is faster than me and i know it helps the both of us run faster if we dont get tangled up and the guys that are finishing in the back of the pack are usually 2-3 laps down so i know not to expect much and to use some etiquette, so i think ill give it a go sunday, there was really obly one person who didnt want me to do it, but i didnt ask everybody, but i think if this is a hobby i want to continue in ill do what makes me happy, so wish me luck sunday! Ill give em hell with my 17.5!
Old 11-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Just do what you have fun with! While you may not win all the time, the experience from racing more able drivers is the real trophy.