Wiki Posts
Search

1/12th RX packs

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/12th RX packs

What batteries do you use, how do you build them, how do you charge them?
I wanted to go Modified on my 1/12th and was told that you need this especially if you are running a digital servo and mod motors.
I know nothing about them.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

A reciever pack is generally run in a 4 or 5 cell conviguration. You don't really need them if your speed control has BEC or Radio Priority Circutry however. A mod motor will draw way more amps than a servo and a reciever. I would tell you to save the weight and money and just run it off the pack your running now, but an easy way to try it for cheap is a 4 cell "AA" pack.

If you want to try a more permanent solution, Traxxas has an 1100 MAH 5 cell reciever pack with a 1 hour AC quick charger (DC power cord optional). On the advertising banners on here you'll sometimes see ads about high performance reciever packs, and I would trust the buisnesses around here to make good on there word. Building them is just like building a standard 4 or 6 cell pack. Just wire the cells in series with battery bars (Generally micro ones) and put a servo lead or switch on the end. If you want, you can leave a servo lead plugged into a switch, and another one that is reserved for charging only so you don't have to fool with plugs when your batteries die.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
A reciever pack is generally run in a 4 or 5 cell conviguration. You don't really need them if your speed control has BEC or Radio Priority Circutry however. A mod motor will draw way more amps than a servo and a reciever. I would tell you to save the weight and money and just run it off the pack your running now, but an easy way to try it for cheap is a 4 cell "AA" pack.

If you want to try a more permanent solution, Traxxas has an 1100 MAH 5 cell reciever pack with a 1 hour AC quick charger (DC power cord optional)
1100 mah? isnt that reciever packs for nitros? I heard 1/12th receiver packs are only like 150mah. 50mah batteries in a five cell configuration.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

When you wire a battery pack you either wire it in paralell or series. Paralell is when you jump start a car. You wire the batteries positive to positive and negative to negative. This will combine the capacity of the 2 batteries and keep the voltage average between the 2 batteries.

Series is what we use for R/C applications. We take a cell and wire it's positive side to the negative side of the next cell. This gives you a combined voltage with average capacity. So 6 cells wired in series will give you 7.2 volts at whatever the average voltage of the cells are.

50 MA is so small I don't even think Duracell alkalines are that small. 500 MA seems small, but a bit more reasonable. Are you sure that you understood the rating correctly?