Wiki Posts
Search

Charging lipo - rookie questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Charging lipo - rookie questions

I am a newbee to RC and charging lipos.

I have a 12000 mah 6 cells 22,2 V lipo batteri.

Questions:
1. What Voltage should I use on my power supply, It has a adjustable range from 15-30 vdc. I am thinking 23V as output voltage, is that okay?

2. In the charger settings I have selected my battery type - lipo - chosen 6c and charging rate 1c.
That gives med an option to charge with 12A. Is that okay? It looks like it finds the correct ampere when selecting size and charging rate.

3. There is a option for discharging battery. How often should I discharge a battery? Every time after a flight? Or only for example 1 time very month?

4. On the charging setup, when starting charge - I have a option for CV-CC, anyone with some information about that?

Sorry for a lot of questions, I home someone could please help me out..
Old 10-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

You would have to set your power supply to whatever your charger is, normally around 12 v.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Answers inline

Originally Posted by selvesteolsen

I am a newbee to RC and charging lipos. I have a 12000 mah 6 cells 22,2 V lipo batteri.

That's a lot of lipo to start off with...

Questions:
1. What Voltage should I use on my power supply, It has a adjustable range from 15-30 vdc. I am thinking 23V as output voltage, is that okay?

12v is common, though you could do 24v if your charger can handle it.

2. In the charger settings I have selected my battery type - lipo - chosen 6c and charging rate 1c.
That gives med an option to charge with 12A. Is that okay? It looks like it finds the correct ampere when selecting size and charging rate.

1C for that battery is 12 amps, yes. You could probably charge that battery safely at 2C rates, but... stay with 1C for now until you better understand what you're doing.

3. There is a option for discharging battery. How often should I discharge a battery? Every time after a flight? Or only for example 1 time very month?

If you're flying, I'm assuming your plane/heli will do a good job of discharging the battery for you. Make sure your ESC has a lipo cutoff, meaning it'll stop draining the battery at a certain voltage (often 3.2v / cell or so). You do NOT want to store the battery at that voltage. I would also recommend you not store it fully charged. You want to "storage charge" your battery every time. So, once you're done flying and get home, storage charge. That is a safe voltage that keeps lipos happy when stored and not used. Storage charging will either charge or discharge (usually both) a battery to get it to the storage charge voltage.

4. On the charging setup, when starting charge - I have a option for CV-CC, anyone with some information about that?

I believe that stands for Constant Currant and Constant Voltage. Read more here: http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-...-chargers-work

Sorry for a lot of questions, I home someone could please help me out..