Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Which lipo battery/charger should I get? >

Which lipo battery/charger should I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which lipo battery/charger should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which lipo battery/charger should I get?

Hi, I am fairly new to RC (2 cars), and I am going to buy the Apache C1 Flux as my third car.
It doesn't include a battery, so I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions or even tips.

Thanks a bunch
Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What are your other two cars? Do you have experience dealing with Lipos safely?

If you're looking for bashing, I can recommend SPC batteries: http://www.spcracingbatteries.com

If you want something for more serious and/or track use, SMC is great: http://www.smc-racing.net
Old 09-15-2014, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Lipos are not scary, you just need to follow the rules... which most often is to get long life out of them down the road.

However I did advise a noob the other day not to use his nihm charger on his new 3S lipo for his merv. He will wait until his next paycheck now and get a proper charger.

But really.. simple rules to be happy:

1 - right charger
2 - only use the functions "balance" and "storage" for a lipo
3 - if you are putting it up for the next day or two "storage" charge it
4 - use an ESC with Low Voltage Cutoff to prevent running it down too low
5 - do not damage or short the lipo, and do not get it hot like leave it in a parked car all day.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbenton
Lipos are not scary, you just need to follow the rules... which most often is to get long life out of them down the road.

However I did advise a noob the other day not to use his nihm charger on his new 3S lipo for his merv. He will wait until his next paycheck now and get a proper charger.

But really.. simple rules to be happy:

1 - right charger
2 - only use the functions "balance" and "storage" for a lipo
3 - if you are putting it up for the next day or two "storage" charge it
4 - use an ESC with Low Voltage Cutoff to prevent running it down too low
5 - do not damage or short the lipo, and do not get it hot like leave it in a parked car all day.
Good Advice ^^^

For batteries themselves, there are a gazillion choices. I've been running SMC for racing since last summer, great packs for racing, great packs for the price.

For bashing, I would recommend Turnigy Nano Tech packs. I run them in my crawlers, and have been very happy with them.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Tech Initiate

+1 on the turnigy nano tech. I got mine a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. As far as chargers go, I picked up a hi tech X1(same as traxxas) for 65$ and it's actually really nice. I upgraded from a Radiant Primal (hobbytown brand)and it was well worth it.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Tech Initiate

I must say I have smc batteries and spc both are very good company's.

Lipos are dangerous but if you use them and care for them the right way then there's no worrying about it.

You can charge your lipos in a .40 cal ammo can from ebay just cut out wholes for the wires and the batteries to breath. Always store your battery's in a safe place and at the right percetage.

Also always care for your lipos the right way you can search google for a lot of info on Lipo also always balance charge them and never puncher them with anyhring shapr
Old 09-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hobbypartz or Hobbyking Lipos. I use them and haven't had issues with them. Perfect for the casual basher.