Wiki Posts
Search

Short course truck questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Short course truck questions

I am getting back into the hobby, well I should say racing. I am looking into the short course game. I haven't raced since the mid 90s and I was wondering. What is a better way to go, 2wd or 4wd? I know the benefits of both, but I am a died in the wool associated guy since the gold pan days and Ive heard their 4wd is a bear to work on. I don't have the best vision in the world anymore either so the less the smaller parts the better. I want to stick with associated mainly because I like the brand and I have a chance to buy a 2wd or a 4wd from a buddy. Any input you can give is greatly appreciated. I am leaning to the 4wd and just have to lean how to fix it.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Suspended

magoo go with both.. since ur buddy has them.. not a AE diehard but . I have run against a few 2wd when setup is a great platform But I like Team C best..just might wanta invest in a 10x pair of glasses so you can fix them..LOL..
Old 08-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nah both is not an option lol. I all ready have a Baja 5t I dump enough money in, the wife would kill me. Is it worth buying one of the rtr kits from from tower on their ez pay? I heard the motors and esc aren't worth a darn and I all ready have a dx3s. I would just have to get a receiver for a roller. Team C is not supported around me at all so I don't think I want to go that route either.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2wd is a great platform and not a lot of extra setup or maintenance things to keep it running great. 4wd because of the belt system is a pain, great truck but just a lot of tweaking and continual maintenance.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Delta_Ice
2wd is a great platform and not a lot of extra setup or maintenance things to keep it running great. 4wd because of the belt system is a pain, great truck but just a lot of tweaking and continual maintenance.
Ty, That may have helped me make my decision.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

im just getting back into the hobby as well, i have raced a 2wd a few times and its ok..i just bought the sct410 from tekno (4x4) and have yet to learn and race. but from watching the 4x4 guys race it is much,much faster than 2wd. i suppose one way to look at it is 4x4 has more moving parts as 2wd isn't as much. both are durable as hell. either way u go you'll be happy
Old 08-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm an associated guy, but the sc10 4x4 is old technology compared to losi scte 2.0 or the Tekno. Sc10 is a great truck, cheap parts tons of good upgrades for racing and they're a dime a dozen on here, Craigslist or eBay. The losi 22 sct looks good, prob get a deal on those with the new 22 2.0 sct coming in November.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

i use to have a 4x4 and to me it was to much maintenance, although this was almost 10 years ago. i just oredered the AE sc10rs yesterday from tower and is suppose to arrive tomorrow. ive read in a few places that the SC10RS will give the other trucks like the slash 4x4 a run for their money. just my .02
Old 08-18-2014, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

if your only looking at associated, id go there 2wd option. i raced there 4wd and got 3rd in a regional event with it but i had difficulty with it to find a good set up. the tekno,losi, or even durango 4wd options are better. 2wd will help you learn to drive better imo. when a 4wd sct is set up, there are so much fun and eaiser to drive than a 2wd.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

There is the ProLite by Associated, and I would take it over the SC10 4x4, but it really looks to be lacking on durability compared to Tekno or Losi.