Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need help with old os .12 engine >

Need help with old os .12 engine

Need help with old os .12 engine

Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help with old os .12 engine

Hey all,

After years of running all electric cars I was recently given an old Kyosho Inferno 10 4wd with an os .12 cz-r engine in it. It hadn't run in a few years, and I know nothing about nitro, but I wasn't about to turn down a free car. The first time I tried to start it it started after a few pulls but immediately stalled out. After a few more pulls the recoil string broke. I took the assembly apart and replaced the string but now I can't get it to start. Everything seems to function fine when the glow plug is out but when I put it in it doesn't feel like the starter is turning the engine over. All the help forums I've read only suggest checking the glow plug works and making sure it's not flooded. I am 100% sure it is neither of these and I don't think it's a problem with the starter because like I said it turns fine when the plug is out. Any suggestions on what I should try? I'd rather repair it than replace it, not because I don't want to spend the money, just because I'd rather know how to fix this problem if it happens again. Any help is appreciated!

Iggy
Old 07-25-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You might have the one way bearing in backwards.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

No, it can only go in one way on that engine
Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Bud
Tech Addict

one way bearing needs cleaning.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Iggy451 View Post
Everything seems to function fine when the glow plug is out but when I put it in it doesn't feel like the starter is turning the engine over.
Are you saying the pull start is hard to pull when the plug is in? But works ok when the plug is out? If so the motor may be hydro locking on you.

A couple things you could try.

Try starting normally with the plug loosely installed, about a couple revolutions or so out. When the motor starts up tighten down the plug. Until the plug is tightened properly it'll run rough with some fuel escaping. This is ok. At least the motor won't immediately lock up and not turn over.

Or try heating up the head (heat gun or hair dryer) for a few minutes. Should loosen things up for an easier start.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Backing the glow plug out worked! Thank you so much. It keeps stalling out on me so I'm sure I have to tinker with some of the adjustments but at least I can finally start it. Thanks for your help!