Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
I got a Question. >

I got a Question.

I got a Question.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default I got a Question.

Allright im new to this hobby.. i traded alot my spare Goped parts for a nitro truck... it needed new steering servo so i bought one... and some other misc items... now when i try to start the engine it starts up for bout 5 secs then dies.. like theres no fuel getting to the engine... and when i put my finger on the muffler the fuel goes threw... but like said it only runs for both 5 secs mabey more then dies... What should i do???

Can u clean out the carb with carb cleaner? or u got use somethin special for that too?

thanks,
NS[]D[]RT
Old 08-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Check the tank and filler. If there are any broken seals, or air leaks try fixing them with silicon sealant. If your engine seems to be running lean, then most likely it's your fuel tubing. Replacing the fuel tubing is both cheap, and important. A micro sized hole can cause erratic engine operation and overlean mixtures. Another part that's worth a look it the backplate. Make sure the backplate is secured correctly, and that there are no air leaks. If you do ifnd an air leak, reach for the silicon sealant. Check around the carb for air leaks as well, again, minor amounts of sealant will get the job done. DO NOT use a "liberal" amount of sealant. An engine is meant to compress only air, not sealant. Make sure none of the sealant gets into the crankcase or carb.

Even if the problem doesn't turn out to be an air leak at all, it's always a good idea to go through the steps above anyway. You never really know what your getting in a used nitro car. I can't tell you how many times I bought a used nitro car just to discover a worn sleeve, or a cracked piece of fuel tubing. I spent $150 on a Kyosho Field Beetle with an O.S. .12 CV-R engine, but when I got it home I realized the engine had been run through at least 3 gallons of fuel, and also had massive airleaks.

If the engine dies when you take the glow ignitor off, it's time to replace the glow plug, or just charge up the glow ignitor. This could happen if your mixture is overly rich, but most of the time you just need a new glow plug.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Tech Initiate

ok thanks.. it gots new glow plug.. and i got it started... all i did was tune the high needle little bit.. kid said he messed with it so i stuck it to stock settings it said on the manual.. and it started up..

its a Traxxas Nitro sport the kid had a stampede body for it...( he has to cut the bed of the truck so the motor and shock towers fitted)

IS there any where i can get like upgrade chassis parts for the nitro sport?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Sure, go to www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com and check out the cool aluminum bumper we have avalible.

The direct link should be www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/BAN003.html

Edit: We can also work with you if your looking for something special. We are always looking for new concepts. What exactly would you like to upgrade?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Initiate

nice thanks i might have to get that.. way i hit the fence in bak yard lol

like the shock towers( they bend real easy looks like they break) and both plates on the chassis ( idk wat there called ) ones holds the gastank and then the one goes around the gastank( if that made ne sense)
Old 08-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Initiate

ok now im having a problem agian... few days ago i had it running perfect nothing wrong with it or nothing... and now when u start it it shuts off.. last time it did this i turned high speed needle.. with its not helping.. its got fuel in the lines... ive checked everything... only thing i can think of is the carb is going bad or i need another new glow plug

how fast do glow plugs go threw?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Depends, how many runs have you put on it? What type of fuel are you running? Did you replace the origional plug after break in?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Tech Master

Also, which glowplug were you using? and what engine do you have?

Sean
Old 08-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Tech Initiate

i got a traxxas nitro .15 engine

when i got the truck i put new glow plug in it.. cuz kid who had it before me said it probly need one.. and i put new one in 3-4 days ago

Odonnel 20% nitro racing fuel.
I used it for about hour and half the night i got it running for awhile.. then the next day it didn't start up like the night before..

sorry i threw the box away that had the glow plug in it
Old 08-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

I'm going to bet you don't know what temp the motor is running at.

You do remove all the fuel from the tank after running, and run the engine after removing the fuel to clear any extra fuel from the lines right?

Do you know how many gallons of fuel went through the engine before you got it? If first comes to worst, the engine may have lost it's pinch. This would make tuning more difficult.

Although I'm betting the engine isn't totally worn yet, Traxxas does offer discounts on the new TRX 2.5 engines. Send the old worn engine to them with about $50 I think, and they will send you a brand new TRX 2.5.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Sorry, it's actually $100 plus shipping. Still, it's a good offer. I only say this as a last resort. I can't tell you how many times I have purchased a nitro car used only to find the engine irreperably worn.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Tech Initiate

your right i dont no what temp of the motor is

i do remove all the fuel from the tank after running and run the engine after removing the fuel.

i dont know how many gallons went threw the engine but i will find out..

and right now i dont got no money to send in for a new enigne.

but if u guys would like i can get a video clip of the engine.. on how it runs.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

That would be great. If you need a temporary server to host the video for everyone I can take care of that for you. Send the video to [email protected] and I can get it up for you.

All questions should include a video to make diagnosing the issue easier. I have a feeling someone will recognize the problem as soon as they see a video of it.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Tech Initiate

oh thats good because im more into Goped engine then i know bout these rc car engine lol...

today i put new oil in the shocks lol.

are the 360 pipes good?

also is there any other engine that can mount up too these cars??
Old 08-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

You can fit the TRX 2.5 in there as a bolt on, but I believe you will need a clutchbell and flywheel before you install an O.S. engine.

Some good inexpensive engines for that would be the O.S. .15 CV-R and the O.S. .12 CV-R. Novarossi will have some good stuff like always, but I think that would run out of your price range. The O.S. .18 engine made for the T-MAXX should drop right in. Most .12 - .18 small block engines will work, but you may need clutchbells, flywheels, and engine mounts to complete the installation.

So were you planning on getting the movie?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service