Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie Here With Tuning Question on my TC 4

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Rookie Here With Tuning Question on my TC 4

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some tuning advice on my Team Associated TC4. I have a stock TC4 Factory Team kit which was pretty pre built minus the electronics. So I guess it's tuned as per TA thinks it will handle any track.

So I am mainly driving on low traction asphalt slightly little bumpy in some areas. As of now I'm trying to learn how to handle my car so I can begin racing with the other guys there without always crashing into them lol.

I am running a Novak GT3B ESC w/ Vulcan 7.5 Turn

My servo is Savox SC-1252 low profile

I am running foams on front and back Xceed 26mm 45 shore on front and 30mm 35 shore on back.

GenAce 4000 2s lipo

So with this set up I am getting no traction on straight away when I go a little more than 3/4 throttle I spin out and it is also hard to keep the car straight bit sloppy on front end. I tried some high grip rubber HPI tires my lhs recommended no luck with them went bald in 2 days.

I know at this point I'm a crappy driver but are there any suspension adjustments I can make to get more front end traction even if I have to sacrifice top end speed.

Any advice would be awesome

Alex
Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Tech Rookie

53 views no advice
Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

My advice...ditch the 7.5. If you are still so new that you are just trying to not hit other cars, you don't need a 7.5.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed, sounds like you're trying to put too much power to the ground, & even in an experienced driver's hands, a 7.5 motor will eat more tires for lunch on asphalt in no time. I'd recommend something MUCH easier to drive, like a decent 17.5 motor to start, & then the tires the locals recommended should likely hold up MUCH better, & at the same time you'll have an easier to drive car that you can learn with(yes, it might seem slow, but trust me, it's the right thing to do if you really want to learn how to drive it & tune it)....
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

I agree. That is a whole lot of motor. Once you get a new motor, start by messing around with your springs. If the track is a little bumpy, you may be coming off the ground, spinning the tires up and smoking them when they come back down. Try softer springs. You may also need to change shock oil. Ask the fast guys at the track about springs and oil. A good reference book to get is TOURING CAR CHASSIS SETUP GUIDE from XXXMain.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RaceDayHobbies
I agree. That is a whole lot of motor. Once you get a new motor, start by messing around with your springs. If the track is a little bumpy, you may be coming off the ground, spinning the tires up and smoking them when they come back down. Try softer springs. You may also need to change shock oil. Ask the fast guys at the track about springs and oil. A good reference book to get is TOURING CAR CHASSIS SETUP GUIDE from XXXMain.
At this point 7.5 is my only option I just brought it to replace the 5.5 6000kv motor I originally brought so for now $$ is a issue. I will change the springs and oil to make it less stiff. Also, how about the angle of the shocks the set up on the TC 4 the shocks are almost straight up and down would I get a softer ride if they were slanted more? And would you know a better aftermarket shock set to get rid of these plasitic shocks I have now. There are so many choices out there? TOURING CAR CHASSIS SETUP GUIDE from XXXMain is this sold as paper book or can you buy it as PDF?
Old 06-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Here is the Hudy tuning guide (PDF, free): http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/showfile.p...252739b1ad8c24

It covers individual setup items, plus has a nice matrix in the back for things to change if the car is ________. For example, if the car is understeering at corner entry, it will suggest (in order) the things you should change to mitigate that.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Great Thanks!!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Reduce the dual rate for your throttle channel on your radio. You can limit top speed that way, until you learn to drive and to tune the car. Either way, you're running a pretty hot motor and will have to learn throttle control. Also, at those speeds, you're really pushing the tub chassis design.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You are new to RC, and strapped a 7.5 turn motor into a TC4? This is going to be a rough road for you i'm afraid. If you're on a low traction track, in a TC4, with a 7.5 turn motor, with a beginner trigger finger, on less than idea tires... you are never going to get around the track well. Are you on a prepped track? or un-prepped parking lot?

1. The TC4 is a very stiff car. It is far better on carpet/high traction, than any lower traction surface. Doesn't mean the car can't win... in the right hands, it is still very competative.

2. Tire choice is paramount. If you aren't running the very best tires for your particular track, no other change is going to make a difference. You need to get with your fast locals, and find out exactly what wheel, insert, tire, and tire prep they are doing.

3. Understanding ride height, spring and oil wight, roll-center, and of course droop, (among others) is very important in on-road. Local lessons from your fast guys will be important

4. Tires

5. get a 17.5 turn motor. You can buy a totally decent used one for less than $40. Sell the 7.5 to get some of your money back. You can probably break even.

6. Tires

hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
You are new to RC, and strapped a 7.5 turn motor into a TC4? This is going to be a rough road for you i'm afraid. If you're on a low traction track, in a TC4, with a 7.5 turn motor, with a beginner trigger finger, on less than idea tires... you are never going to get around the track well. Are you on a prepped track? or un-prepped parking lot?

1. The TC4 is a very stiff car. It is far better on carpet/high traction, than any lower traction surface. Doesn't mean the car can't win... in the right hands, it is still very competative.

2. Tire choice is paramount. If you aren't running the very best tires for your particular track, no other change is going to make a difference. You need to get with your fast locals, and find out exactly what wheel, insert, tire, and tire prep they are doing.

3. Understanding ride height, spring and oil wight, roll-center, and of course droop, (among others) is very important in on-road. Local lessons from your fast guys will be important

4. Tires

5. get a 17.5 turn motor. You can buy a totally decent used one for less than $40. Sell the 7.5 to get some of your money back. You can probably break even.

6. Tires

hope this helps.
I am running on
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=alex8828;13311928]I am running on parking lot not really competitive just with a few friends having fun. No one is an expert I am doing this just the get the feel of the car. I know the motor is fast I also had 5.5 6000kv in there. I have an HPI Sprint 2 also I can drive that one fine. I just can't keep my TC from spinning out at high speeds.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by alex8828
At this point 7.5 is my only option I just brought it to replace the 5.5 6000kv motor I originally brought so for now $$ is a issue. I will change the springs and oil to make it less stiff. Also, how about the angle of the shocks the set up on the TC 4 the shocks are almost straight up and down would I get a softer ride if they were slanted more? And would you know a better aftermarket shock set to get rid of these plasitic shocks I have now. There are so many choices out there? TOURING CAR CHASSIS SETUP GUIDE from XXXMain is this sold as paper book or can you buy it as PDF?
Associated's latest touring car (TC6.2) shock will fit the TC4. They have an assortment of spring and pistons for tuning. Part number ASC31323.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

[QUOTE=alex8828;13311962]
Originally Posted by alex8828
I am running on parking lot not really competitive just with a few friends having fun. No one is an expert I am doing this just the get the feel of the car. I know the motor is fast I also had 5.5 6000kv in there. I have an HPI Sprint 2 also I can drive that one fine. I just can't keep my TC from spinning out at high speeds.
What is your ride height and droop set to? What springs and oil are you running? Are you using traction compound?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If your radio has expo. in the steering setup , try about a -35 to -50
It will help to keep the car from being twitchy on the straights.