Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to R/C. Need help with Losi XXXT Matt Francis Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to R/C. Need help with Losi XXXT Matt Francis Build

I am a rookie here at the R/C stuff so sorry in advance for all the questions. I used to be into R/C cars when I was younger and I have a Losi XXXT MF edition that I let sit at a friends house for about a decade. I just picked it up and want to do a rebuild but so much has changed over the years that I am unfamiliar with the new technology. If anyone could give their input on some of the questions that I have that would be greatly appreciated!

I am looking for a real solid brushless system that I won't get bored of after the first couple weeks, but at the same time isn't too overkill. I understand that the higher the kv rating the more top speed/less acceleration and the higher turn less top speed/more acceleration, so I was curious as to what a good balance would be? I have a Futaba 2PL controller and am most likely going to need a new receiver. I remember the servo's that I used before always use to break too, so if anyone could weigh in on a good receiver and digital servo with metal gears that would be sweet. I'll obviously be in the market for a LiPo battery and charger as well.

Any recommendations on these parts and anything else my car might need after sitting for a decade would awesome! I really want to get this thing rippin' again
Old 05-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Assuming like motors are being compared, a higher kv (or lower turn) motor will have more acceleration, not less. Yes the motor will have slightly less torque (at low RPMs only), but the same motor should be geared lower, smaller pinion. Thus will have more power and acceleration at all speeds.

I'm mostly familiar with sensored motors as commonly used in racing. Picking a motor for someone is difficult, as we all have different expectations, but I would suggest something in the 8.5 to 10.5 turn range as a good compromise. One advantage with sensored is many speed controls provide boost settings that can significantly increase the power level when needed/wanted. Even a 10.5 with boost can be fairly ridiculously fast, yet without be controllable. Of course always be aware of temperatures and adjust gearing accordingly.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply Dave! Do you have any suggestions on a quality esc and motor that would last and that you would you steer me towards?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...tor-Combo-135T
Old 05-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Hoese37. I was also looking at a Mamba Max Pro setup with a Castle Creations 2400kv. Since I am just getting back into it I am unsure whether to go with a sensored or unsensored motor? I know that generally sensored is smoother providing better throttle control, has better torque and is preferred by many racers, but it seems to be personal preference. I've heard many say that it's hard to tell the difference between a sensored motor and a really good unsensored one. Ill be running my car outside a lot this summer and the temps are another concern of mine. I've heard many people say that in the summer they have burned up numerous sensored systems because they reached 200+ degrees, while their sensorless system was completely fine and only got to 120 degrees. I'm just trying to figure out what would be best for my setup...