Search

Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Maintenance Schedule

Hello,

I am new to RC and have gotten into racing which I love but I have limited knowledge of RC vehicles to be honest. I am learning but all my stuff is new and has been running fairly well and I hope to keep them that way.

My question is about general maintenance, I know it all depends on how you drive, the track conditions etc. I am just looking for general guidelines or a basic rule of thumb so I can set up a schedule. Hopefully it will help me keep some of my parts longer and spare me from running my trucks into the ground and breaking parts and learning the hard way that I should have been cleaning, lubricating etc.

So here are my general questions and if I am missing anything (which I am 99% sure I am please feel free to toss in any additional parts or suggestions).

Shock Oil - Generally how many hours / races should I change the oil

Clean Bearing by removing rubber seals and re-lubricating - Generally how many hours / races

Disassemble and Clean Brushless Motors - Generally how many hours / races

Differential Oil - Generally how many hours / races

I hope no one puts as needed b/c again I am a newbie and I am not great with identifying sounds or different feels of the truck until something really breaks. I watch a ton of youtube videos and try to do as much research as possible but I figured I would toss out this question and see if any experienced RC racers can shed some light on this for me.

I race on an indoor clay surface and then outdoor clay surface that is kind of sandy in my opinion. I believe the outdoor surface requires a lot more maintenance and cleaning since the fine grains get into everything. It got under my Velineon ESC on and off button and broke it so I am hoping to avoid things like that with routine maintenance.

Some additional information -

I have a

TLR SCTE 2.0 w/ a Novak Ballistic Havoc System

and

TLR 22SCT w/ a Losi 8.5T motor and a Tekin ESC

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Shock oil, until it is dirty. Open the shock and if the oil is cloudy, it's fine, if it is translucent, you can if you want, and if it opaque, you should just swap it out. Maybe every couple of days running the car or so. It depends on surface, and shocks though, as the dustier the surface, the more you will have to change.

Bearings I will usually give a through cleaning in with soap, water, and toothbrush (remember to use a water displacer like a little wd40, and the re oil afterwards) every couple of days of running, but check them every run to check for grittiness or locked bearings.

Brushless motor maintenance every few runs. Just check if it looks or feels dirty (gritty bearings) and clean it out.

Diff oil can go for a long time. Just check every week or two, and top it off or replace if it looks dirty.

Sand is killer to bearings, so make sure to check them regularly when running on that surface.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks Panda,

I took the front end apart and started cleaning. I need to get some bearing oil but I sprayed them down with some WD-40, there is a scratchy sound coming from the bearings. Next time I am at the LHS I will have to look at getting some replacement bearings.

Next on the list is the Novak motor.. if my bearings are sounding that rough I imagine the motor will need a good cleaning.

Thanks for taking the time to share some tips.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

most of the time the bearings can be cleaned well enough they will work, but new never hurts. I would recommend getting the avid revolution bearings. they are 1 dollar each, and are great. motor bearings tend to stay a little cleaner, as there is less exposure to elements. Bearings on the inside of hubs get the dirtiest.