Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
17.5 Turn Motor Differences >

17.5 Turn Motor Differences

17.5 Turn Motor Differences

Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 17.5 Turn Motor Differences

I understand that every manufacturer is going to have variances in overall product quality and efficiency but when running in dirt are most 17.5 turn motors going to be pretty similar?

From what I'm reading when most people upgrade from one 17.5 motor to another 17.5 motor, they talk about how it's smoother, or that they were able to shave a few tenths of a second off their lap time. Is that pretty much it?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Yes it can be. Heck you can save time with tuned rotors as well. The D3.5 is pretty much the de facto motor right now but isn't roar legal any more.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ignishen
I understand that every manufacturer is going to have variances in overall product quality and efficiency but when running in dirt are most 17.5 turn motors going to be pretty similar?

From what I'm reading when most people upgrade from one 17.5 motor to another 17.5 motor, they talk about how it's smoother, or that they were able to shave a few tenths of a second off their lap time. Is that pretty much it?
If it's a ROAR approved motor it should be VERY similar to other ROAR approved motors. One thing that can differ, and is still ROAR approved, is the type of rotor you use. Some motors allow for "high torque" or "high RPM" rotors, besides the normal one which is a compromise of the two. That would give your motor different feel/behavior.

Honestly, a lot of the differences are moot as soon as you hit a pipe. Learn to drive smooth and clean and you can make most motors look fast. There ARE differences, but unless you have cash to throw at testing the different motors, just stick with what's popular at your track to be competitive. There is no magic motor that kills all. Well, there is the D3.5, but as stated above, the 17.5 and 13.5 versions are no longer ROAR legal (21.5 still is).
Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by metalnut
Honestly, a lot of the differences are moot as soon as you hit a pipe. Learn to drive smooth and clean and you can make most motors look fast.
That's pretty much the goal. I was speaking with a guy at the track who has the same truck and he was really dogging the Dynamite motor I have. Not knowing too much yet I didn't really disagree. Had that nagging thought though that there wasn't a giant power difference between his Novak and mine.

Last edited by ignishen; 04-30-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

That's pretty much the goal. I was speaking with a guy at the track who has the same truck and he was really dogging the Dynamite motor I have. Not knowing too much yet I didn't really disagree. Had that nagging thought though that there wasn't a giant power difference between his Novak and mine.
Sorry, reading this gave me a bit of a chuckle. A guy with a Novak motor dogging on a guy with a Dynamite. To be fair, I've seen several Dynamite motors fail and they're not as strong as some others. But at the same time Novak isn't exactly top dog when it comes to motors these days, so the guy shouldn't be talking.

If you want to "upgrade", you have many options. RevTech, Reedy Sonic, LRP, Orca, Thunder Power, etc., all good brands. Hell, you can even get an older Trinity D3 (if you can find one) and have a great setup. I'd consider a better ESC if you are still running the Dynamite one.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I could see benefiting from a nice programmable ESC down the road.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

I could see benefiting from a nice programmable ESC down the road.
If you're doing stock racing, I can honestly recommend a Hobbywing Justock: http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=4548

Don't let people tell you that Hobbywing is crap, it's definitely far, far from it. Good products at good prices.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I hate people talkin crap. People like that ruin a good time at the track. I remember running a Tacon and catching some BS. Tell him your just their to have a good time. Its all in good fun.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
Don't let people tell you that Hobbywing is crap, it's definitely far, far from it. Good products at good prices.
Agreed! I love hobbywing. I run their ESC's in both of my cars. However I would recommend the Xtreme stock esc over the just stock as the xtreme gives you the option to run boost if you ever needed to. And it's only $10 more dollars.