Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Stampede

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Stampede

Was running my Stampede around the yard and it just stopped. I picked it up and pulled the throttle, the motor still goes and the wheels turned but when I put the car back down (with it's weight) it won't move forward. I'm new to this but it sounds like the tranny? Like something is not connecting and providing full power. Tranny?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Make sure your slipper clutch is tight.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Take the cover off the spur/pinion gear and hold the spur gear in place while trying to roll the car forward (no power to it if you value your fingerprints).

That will tell you real quick if the slipper is loose like Hoese37 mentioned. I put odds on that at about 95+%

Less likely but could be the pinion had the grub screw back out a bit or the rotor debonded (if it is brushless).
Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

As the suggestions above mention, you basically need to walk through the driveline to see what is either broken or slipping. Start with the spur/pinion, make sure they mesh well, make sure all is tight. Then go from there. Transmission gears, outdrives, etc. But like was said, probably the slipper or the pinion/spur.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. I found a nice video on youtube on the slipping clutch. It was pretty easy (taking off, making sure the pin was lined up). Unfortuantely that didn't seem to work. I tightened everything back and the spur/pinion gear i think i have good mesh. Anyway, same result. When i hit the throttle, the motor fires nicely and the tires move but something is slipping. When I sit the car back down, pull the throttle it won't move. Should I dive into taking the transmission out?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Observe the driveline when it's on the ground and you have the throttle going. Pinion and spur both moving? Is the driveshaft moving (assuming it's 4x4)? Are the out drives moving? At some point something will not be moving, inspect the area upstream of that part or the part itself. My best guess right now is transmission.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. Everything seems to be moving, the gears seemed meshed, the motor roars, i checked the slipper clutch.

Metalnut (or others) - Do you think it might be a good idea to go ahead and break down the rear of the car and get inside the transmission? If it is the 'transmission' what could be wrong? In other words when i could i see when i open up the transmission casing? I know there are 3 gears in there..
Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

If the moving/spinning stops at the transmission, then that is likely the culprit. When you open it up I'd expect to see stripped gears. I'm not sure if your 'Pede has plastic transmission gears or not, but if so, those could have definitely gone to pieces.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks 'Nut'. I'm sorry to be a pest but i don't think the transmission is the issue. I slowly broke the rear down and pulled off the transmission. I shook it and not a peep. I carefully pulled it open and the gears (metal) looked good, nothing broken, good amount of grease. I also spun the drive shaft with my finger and it sounded good. I put it back together and same thing. I shook it and heard nothing. I put it back together same thing. My last thought is it could it be the motor? I have another 15T motor i'm going to try. if no luck i'll take it to the local hobby shop. Thanks..
Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Yup. I put everything back together (actually proud of myself..ahah) and tried both the 12T titan and the 15t motor and in both cases when i hold the back up and pull the throttle..the truck ROARS! Like it's ready to blast off! but as soon as i put it down on the ground it barely moves. Thanks for the help let me know if you guys think of something.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm assuming this is the brushed 2WD version of the Stampede.

Did you check the Diff gears? It is possible they are bad or striped.
The screw/pin for the axles could of fell out.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Yes it's 2wd brushed. Probably should have mentioned that up front.

Actually I didn't open up the diff gear. I was afraid somebody would mention that. Also when you mean the screw/pin do you mean the grub screw that goes in on each side of the transmission casing/outdrive diff? thx
Old 04-28-2014, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcnewbie418
Yes it's 2wd brushed. Probably should have mentioned that up front.

Actually I didn't open up the diff gear. I was afraid somebody would mention that. Also when you mean the screw/pin do you mean the grub screw that goes in on each side of the transmission casing/outdrive diff? thx
yes, that is the screw pin.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Sta...ssion-Assembly

Yes part 4628 is what I'm talking about when I said screw/pin.

And be sure to look at the diff gears 2382.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Could it be possible that you had one of the wheels off prior and lost one of the pins behind the hexes? It would essentially act how you are describing, but when putting the truck down on the ground, the open diff would just spin.

Try powering it up and putting it on the ground, and take note if either of the drive shafts are spinning.

There is also one of these pins behind the slipper setup, also make sure that pin is there and still in the slot like its supposed to be.